Next Scream Fortress

31Darkstar

It'll be bad. Lemme explain.

Every single Scream Fortress has occurred during the Quickplay format of the game. You could drop in and out at will, and games would always restart over and over, with infinite rounds. This made it easy to complete contracts/gather presents as you could just start anywhere and never have to stop playing until you were done.

Now, though, we have the Casual matchmaking format. And although the ability to rematch has been added, it is terrible. You see, now that games actually end after a certain number of rounds, people are kicked out and forced to find another game to play, and this is coupled with the fact that most games are either you rolling the enemy or the enemy rolling you. This creates very fast and meaningless games that aren't going to allow many people to complete contracts or grab presents (and presents aren't around anymore, so the contracts are the only thing). Now, rematches were suppose to fix this forcefulness to finding another game, but since everyone is either rolled or rolling, the losing team will mostly refuse a rematch as they were left with a sour taste from the game.

TL;DR: It will be very difficult to enjoy this year's Scream Fortress as games will be too short, contracts will be nigh impossible to complete and the high-demand for presents and spells was completely ignored. But at least we can make unusual taunts, right?

Edited by Ezekiel

22 hours ago, Ezekiel said:

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that it is going to be worse.

The opposite team might refuse a rematch but they can't leave randomly anymore (without a penalty). People now kinda have to finish the match, meaning that if you are on the rolling them you can actually play the game (and gain points for at least 10 minutes) instead of having to deal with players randomly leaving (and the possible autobalancing fiasco that might follow).

Having to find a new game every few rounds means that you'll have a bigger chance of evenly getting spread between rolling and getting rolled.

Edited by Lukiday

1 hour ago, Lukiday said:

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that it is going to be worse.

The opposite team might refuse a rematch but they can't leave randomly anymore (without a penalty). People now kinda have to finish the match, meaning that if you are on the rolling them you can actually play the game (and gain points for at least 10 minutes) instead of having to deal with players randomly leaving (and the possible autobalancing fiasco that might follow).

Having to find a new game every few rounds means that you'll have a bigger chance of evenly getting spread between rolling and getting rolled.

There is no penalty for leaving anymore, that was patched out.

And there's no autobalance.

However, you still don't see my point. Rolling or getting rolled leaves little time to earn points towards contracts, which are the biggest thing the Scream Fortress has to offer this year. If we can't complete them, then what's the point of having the event?

Edited by Ezekiel

13 hours ago, Ezekiel said:

Rolling or getting rolled leaves little time to earn points towards contracts, which are the biggest thing the Scream Fortress has to offer this year. If we can't complete them, then what's the point of having the event?

The matchmaking update still doesn't affect this. The only difference there is, is that you have more diversity because you'll have to play with different players on different maps each round. 

Edited by Lukiday

50 minutes ago, Lukiday said:

The matchmaking update still doesn't affect this. The only difference there is, is that you have more diversity because you'll have to play with different players on different maps each round. 

No no no, you don't understand.

I don't care who I'm playing with or what I'm doing. I'm gearing towards completing those contracts in order to get the prizes they'll give. But I can't complete the contracts because of how Casual creates fast, meaningless games.

Back then I could play for hours on the same map with most of the same people, but now, after three minutes or so, I have to find a new game to play to continue completing my contracts. It is no longer fun to complete contracts given that it'll take a day or more just to complete one.

And let's not forget the fact that people will leave in some games and create a 12v4 match-up. Before you say "well, new players will get put in", there is tons of proof that it takes too long and the game ends before others are put in. Finally, there's the fact that sometimes you'll join a game when it ends, thus leaving you with nothing other than some experience gain.

What I'm trying to say is Casual matchmaking has ruined the purpose of contracts because it'll take too long to complete them.

Also, how will we be able to experience the new maps if the game ends so quickly?

Lastly, it'll probably be boring besides the new unusual tool, but I'm sure it won't make the taunts trade-able.

I don't know what you're talking about with games ending quickly, usually halloween gamemodes take even longer than normal games due to addons like hellworld or minigames.

If you've played a really fun game and you're not the only one thinking so, you get the chance to do a rematch.

When a lot of people leave on a team and you get a really one-sided game it will just be over sooner as the winning team only wins faster (and gains points for their contracts)

We'll see about it getting boring, there's already a lot of good halloween content out there and I can't wait to play some games again.