Is the phlog OP?

Ai_Spankzie

Before you comment, think about it, give a reason to your response.

I personally dont believe its overpowered as its a power swap, your trading the ability to return projectiles that could have damaged your team, critical rockets/pills included, the ability to waste an enemy uber due to knockback to get a charge built boost of crits that has to take 300 damage to build, a fair trade off in my opinion.

It's "OP" because people who don't even know how to airblast or use it correctly, timing etc. basically get a straight upgrade, whereas nobody who knows how to airblast would use it. It's in the same boat as the machina. Everyone hates the bodyshot damage and new players use it to score kills the regular rifle can't get them, and it's a straight upgrade because new players do not shoot unscoped even though it can save your ass in certain situations (No SMG ammo scout coming towards you get you some early health whittled away so you can finish him off with your melee). Basically weapons that are OP allow players that don't know how to use the stock counterparts to their full potential score kills with less effort.

(Also first post yay let's hope I made a good first impression)

Edited by ♥Lex The Gallade♥

It really depends.

A normal phlog pyro - No, It's not op. You have nearly 3 seconds for your team to re position itself to kill the pyro. If you have no team, then that's your fault.

A phlog pyro with a pocket medic - Yes. Yes yes a thousand times yet. Phlog should have a stat saying you cannot be healed by any healing sources except medkits while active.

Darwins Danger Shield is a good weapon

Edited by 💀 Shebby

I say the Phlogistinator is not overpower, now before you come at me with your torches and pitchforks, hear me out.

The reason I say this is because the pyro is now weak to literally every class in the game. With the normal flame thrower and degreaser, the pyro gains the ability to not only throw flames but to use explosives if used correctly. The ability to use a soldiers/demomans/medics/snipers/pyros/scouts own weapon against them is a feature not to be taken lightly. However, most pyros do not know how to reflect many of the classes weapons back at them in the first place other than the soldiers, so I will let a pass on that. But the Phlog takes all those powers and throws them out the window saying a big goodbye to them.

On another point, even without a team and with a pocket medic Shebby (No Offense) a phlog pyro is still extremely vulnerable to everything. This type of pyro can no longer counter its greatest weakness, soldier and demo, and leaves the player basically a sitting duck. 

However, I think the Phlog is now useless, especially since the Backburner does the exact same thing, but can crit CONSTANTLY if hit from behind AND still has airblast, though at an increased cost. The Backburner is basically better in every way and doesn't require you to sit there for 3 seconds just to get blown up for trying to get crits. This is just my opinion though.

On 10/25/2016 at 11:06 PM, Shebby said:

It really depends.

A normal phlog pyro - No, It's not op. You have nearly 3 seconds for your team to re position itself to kill the pyro. If you have no team, then that's your fault.

A phlog pyro with a pocket medic - Yes. Yes yes a thousand times yet. Phlog should have a stat saying you cannot be healed by any healing sources except medkits while active.

Darwins Danger Shield is a good weapon

It would be nice that these nerf come in the next update (pyro update)

I think it is very bad, not just for yourself, but for your teammates as well. First, new pyro players will probably think it is good/OP from watching tf2bers or something like that, and if they are new they might not even learn that airblast is a thing, and will be much worse at the game because of it. It also gives players a habit of not using airblast. When I see players using the phlog, most aren't using the manmelter, so if there is a decent pyro on the other team, they are letting their own team down. A pyro that extinguishes can save his team in the right time and place.

• 2 weeks later...

honestly, i don't see the phlog OP, i mostly just see people, too dumb to understand how to deal with 'em.

Really, its simple, in most cases, gtfo, run like fuck back to your team or somewhere safe, use whatever movement tools you've got if any.

sniper can charge up a shot, soon as uber fades *BOOM!* easy headshot, pyro's gone, demo can set up a sticky trap 'round the phlog pyro, ka-boom! Soldiers, demos, FaN scouts, and non-phlog pyros can all use their weapons to knock the phlog pyro around/back/into hazards, i.e. sentries, bottomless pits, Saws, etc. Hell even Bonk scouts can drink up and block the phlog pyro for a while, Effectively wasting that phlog's Mmmph.

There's just so many ways people can counter a phlog, yet half the time they're just too dumb to understand or do it, Comms are important too, if your team's nearby and a phlog pyro's 'round the corner, warn 'em about the bugger, least then they can be ready to do something, be it retreat, readying their weapons to move 'em down, etc.

So no, i don't think its OP, Cause even then, pyro still has to get up-close And personal to even do anything, like they normally have to do, its your own fault if you get caught by 'em.

Edited by Wuffles

• 1 month later...