RIP Keys & Ref

On 17/12/2016 at 7:02 AM, Ezekiel said:

There will honestly be no way.

I think that Valve knew that refined metal would eventually tank in price, and refused to fix it. This refined price falling into the "nothingness" range will force people to buy keys, and thus more profit for Valve from their guinea pig game.

First of all, Everyone wants to make money. You can't expect people to be generous you know.

Second, The reason why keys are rising because there are EXTREMELY HIGH DEMANDS for it. There is a way, which is to convince every single of those-who-likes-to-unbox-so-much to stop. Which is nearly impossible unless you become the 2nd Stalin.

1 hour ago, ITstumbler said:

First of all, Everyone wants to make money. You can't expect people to be generous you know.

Second, The reason why keys are rising because there are EXTREMELY HIGH DEMANDS for it. There is a way, which is to convince every single of those-who-likes-to-unbox-so-much to stop. Which is nearly impossible unless you become the 2nd Stalin.

I already know this stuff though? I was just proposing a theory as to why it has never been fixed.

Jesus...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2016 at 8:35 PM, ITstumbler said:

Not really valid because Valve makes plenty of money. There is a difference between wanting to make money and being greedy. Valve could do something, but they just dont want to.

On 1/1/2017 at 0:45 PM, Xor said:

Not really valid because Valve makes plenty of money. There is a difference between wanting to make money and being greedy. Valve could do something, but they just dont want to.

any move on their part could really affect the game's economy in a drastic way

its best to let it resolve itself

I mean when keys first started going up in price it was about a ref, started going down, then out of the blue it blindsided a lot of people by steadily raising up. So if it's falling right now it'll certainly be a matter of time before it either goes back to the price it was a little while ago or just go higher. That's how I see it at least.

Does anyone actually know what drives the price of keys? Is it the cash price in the community market, is there some large key holding bot group? It is just buyer/seller behaviour (ie. bots drop prices as people sell keys)?

I'm curious about what caused the recent increase and sudden decrease in the cost. Typically that kind of a price drop is a knee-jerk response to something, but what? Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with the TF2 economy...

Edited by Pinky_Narf
23 minutes ago, Pinky_Narf said:

Does anyone actually know what drives the price of keys? Is it the cash price in the community market, is there some large key holding bot group? It is just buyer/seller behaviour (ie. bots drop prices as people sell keys)?

I'm curious about what caused the recent increase and sudden decrease in the cost. Typically that kind of a price drop is a knee-jerk response to something, but what? Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with the TF2 economy...

Refined becoming worthless + bots automatically updating prices caused the key price to skyrocket.

Increase in key supply due to the Winter sale caused key prices to drop.

Edited by ZekeQT

I understand the refined value thing, but I'm curious about what prompted the more recent (and sharp) shifts in price.

The winter sale caused key prices to drop, but now they've returned to usual? It's just a bit odd that this wouldn't be a more gradual price shift, rather than a sudden one. To me this suggests that there are major players or bots are all connected, so when one event triggers one it triggers them all and prices shift rather radically.

48 minutes ago, Pinky_Narf said:

I understand the refined value thing, but I'm curious about what prompted the more recent (and sharp) shifts in price.

The winter sale caused key prices to drop, but now they've returned to usual? It's just a bit odd that this wouldn't be a more gradual price shift, rather than a sudden one. To me this suggests that there are major players or bots are all connected, so when one event triggers one it triggers them all and prices shift rather radically.

The prices are still dropping.