Bad Luck With Raffles

Has anyone else been having mostly bad luck when it comes to raffles? I know this may sound... "ungrateful", "repetitive", etc etc, but I genuinely almost always seem to have bad luck when it comes to winning raffles, specifically ones that don't raffle just .5 scrap weapons. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate every raffle made, especially ones I win, it's just that it's starting to feel like... a pattern, of sorts. I understand this is normal, and almost everyone is in the same boat as I am (maybe you can refer to this thread as me just speaking out what the majority is sometimes thinking), but it doesn't help the feeling that sometimes it feels like it's pointless attempting to join raffles with a noteworthy item, such as a Strange Festive, Unusuals, "6ref and over" priced cosmetics, etc, when it seems that 98% I normally win a regular weapon. I don't know, maybe it's just the medication wearing off, or shallow pity, or maybe even just rambling on, but has anyone also been experiencing this same thing? :mellow:

Just deal with it, you don't lose anything when you join raffles so it's not like you're poorer now. Nothing can increase your luck, is just random, keep joining raffles and eventually you'll win something nice. Have in mind that the raffles with noteworthy items as you said, tend to gather the attention of a lot of people, a lot. Meaning that you shouldn't really be like "Oh boy, I want to win that Strange/Festive/Unusual"  because chances are you won't win and you'll be disappointed.

7 minutes ago, Gaia's Minion said:

Just deal with it, you don't lose anything when you join raffles so it's not like you're poorer now. Nothing can increase your luck, is just random, keep joining raffles and eventually you'll win something nice. Have in mind that the raffles with noteworthy items as you said, tend to gather the attention of a lot of people, a lot. Meaning that you shouldn't really be like "Oh boy, I want to win that Strange/Festive/Unusual"  because chances are you won't win and you'll be disappointed.

I know all of this, I've been a member (hell, a donator) for almost a year now. I know how raffles work. It's just that it feels like the cycle rarely ends. And true, while I don't lose anything, I just don't feel like I'm exactly winning much to begin with. I'm not sure, I haven't been thinking well (or positively) lately...

14 minutes ago, Festive Starco said:

I know all of this, I've been a member (hell, a donator) for almost a year now. I know how raffles work. It's just that it feels like the cycle rarely ends. And true, while I don't lose anything, I just don't feel like I'm exactly winning much to begin with. I'm not sure, I haven't been thinking well (or positively) lately...

I feel you, ever since the whole 1 Million users, I feel weird because I rarely see "You have won a raffle" and when I see it, it's probably an unique weapon, a robopart or a fabricator. 

I get that it feels like everyone else gets the good stuff, but don't let it make you feel bad, you'll win something nice when you less expect it. Hell, I ended up winning a Festive Axtinguisher today, and it was the "best" item of the raffle. Just be patient and don't be "Oh, I didn't win this", you'll see that sooner or later, you'll be collecting some good winnings.

6 hours ago, Indigo said:

Join puzzle raffles. Up to a 100 times of a higher chance at winning, and the scrap.tf puzzling community, although small, is a tightly knit family that loves to give out free items.

The thing is, I absolutely HATE most puzzle raffles that can't be solved through some simple google searching. Especially the recently newer type of puzzle, the one with hexagons, and they are layered as this:

* * =8     (Pretend * are the hexagons)

* * =4

* * =2

* * =1

I have no idea what type of puzzle it is, so I can't even solve it. The worst is that these types are usually when the raffler is raffling something good like a key or a costly cosmetic.

8 hours ago, Festive Starco said:

The thing is, I absolutely HATE most puzzle raffles that can't be solved through some simple google searching. Especially the recently newer type of puzzle, the one with hexagons, and they are layered as this:

* * =4

* * =2

* * =1

I have no idea what type of puzzle it is, so I can't even solve it. The worst is that these types are usually when the raffler is raffling something good like a key or a costly cosmetic.

Try one of the older series. Those are pretty easy to solve and straight to the point.

Try Beru's series, (Patche, Yuyuko, whatever their name is right now.) Touhou Raffles. Simple, fun, and decent prizes.

Try Ronald's series if you want your brain to be fucked.

Try Red's series if you want to become a puzzler yourself.

Try mine if... No, don't try mine. (If you want to, Touhou Raffu #47 still has a day left. Only 5 people have joined, so you have a great 16.6 percent chance if you join now!)

8 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Try one of the older series. Those are pretty easy to solve and straight to the point.

Try Beru's series, (Patche, Yuyuko, whatever their name is right now.) Touhou Raffles. Simple, fun, and decent prizes.

Try Ronald's series if you want your brain to be fucked.

Try Red's series if you want to become a puzzler yourself.

Try mine if... No, don't try mine. (If you want to, Touhou Raffu #47 still has a day left. Only 5 people have joined, so you have a great 16.6 percent chance if you join now!)

That's the thing though. There's a reason why so little have joined: IT'S DIFFICULT AF TO SOLVE. I like decent ones, but not ones that involve me needing to use mathematic that are basically Engineering levels of difficulty, or something so biased it's almost impossible to figure out the password.

Then there's my puzzles. I make them on a whim, and they are either really doofy dumb things or actual brain busters that are meant to challenge people into looking at something through a different perspective.

:3c

On that note I should really get to work on my next puzzle. I even thought it all out and everything.

1 hour ago, Festive Starco said:

There's a reason why so little have joined: IT'S DIFFICULT AF TO SOLVE. 

It's not the reason. The reason is that the prize isn't good enough for some people. Most people don't even attempt to solve puzzles that aren't "worth it", and as soon as there's a puzzle that's harder than average with a better prize, guess what? Those who entered and the raffler get spammed with "hey can you help me". 

There are harder puzzles and there are easier puzzles. Having only easy puzzles is pointless. Wanna solve hard puzzles? Start solving simple ones.

9 hours ago, Festive Starco said:

The thing is, I absolutely HATE most puzzle raffles that can't be solved through some simple google searching.

Google searching =/= puzzle

1 hour ago, Festive Starco said:

That's the thing though. There's a reason why so little have joined: IT'S DIFFICULT AF TO SOLVE. I like decent ones, but not ones that involve me needing to use mathematic that are basically Engineering levels of difficulty, or something so biased it's almost impossible to figure out the password.

Well, if you can't take the time (4~5 minutes max for each puzzle usually.) to actually TRY, I'm afraid there's no way to boost your raffle win rate. And no, the raffles aren't difficult as fuck, it's just that people are too lazy to go solve a crossword puzzle or something.

25 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Well, if you can't take the time (4~5 minutes max for each puzzle usually.) to actually TRY, I'm afraid there's no way to boost your raffle win rate. And no, the raffles aren't difficult as fuck, it's just that people are too lazy to go solve a crossword puzzle or something.

I'm not gonna start a petty argument over this, so I'm just gonna leave it on a neutral point: My issue is not much on the difficulty of the raffle itself, it's moreso about the amount of time I have to waste just TRYING to solve the complex as s**t algorithm of a puzzle. Honestly, what I said here:

10 hours ago, Festive Starco said:

* * =4

* * =2

* * =1

is one of those types of puzzles where, if you don't know what the hints and type of puzzle are/mean, there's pretty much no way to solve them. I'm not lazy to the point I'd spend 2 minutes at most on a single raffle, I've wasted over 20 minutes trying to look up key searches and anything that can help me figure out what the f**king puzzle is asking me to do. If you'd actually look at the # of puzzle raffles I've entered, apply that, and multiply that by on average 1/4 of an hour, then multiply that number by 2 1/2 (to show the amount of time I've spent TRYING to solve non-completed puzzle raffles), that's how much time I've spent trying to do these puzzle raffles.

Overall, I TRY and TRY, but I'm not sure whether it's because it's due to me feeling almost always "mindless", or just drifting through life not able to really notice or care a whole lot about stuff, usually feeling "braindead" at times, or because of a side-effect to my ADHD, but I just can't ever seem to solve them, no matter how much time I waste looking up information that could even remotely help me figure it out. I've never been that good with puzzles/riddles/mathematics [past geometry level], so it's very, very difficult for me, unlike others like Ronald.

Edited by Festive Starco

No one's forcing you to solve any/everything. Solve whatever you want. And most of those puzzle solvers who you see in every puzzle solve puzzles not because they're going after the prize but because we actually enjoy solving puzzles. Otherwise you wouldn't see us constantly trying to correct puzzles, I wouldn't bother making a puzzling teaching series, timomo wouldn't have returned the strange festive blackbox when the raffler made the puzzle for only one hour.

You said you don't win enough raffles, Indigo offered you a solution - go to puzzle section. Whether you want to do it or not, it's up to you. There isn't any other thing you can do about it. I understand you want to feel lucky and win something, but when there are thousands of people entering raffles, your chances of winning are pretty low indeed.

There's no need to spread hatred towards puzzles because you can't solve some of them

22 minutes ago, RedPhoenix said:

No one's forcing you to solve any/everything. Solve whatever you want. And most of those puzzle solvers who you see in every puzzle solve puzzles not because they're going after the prize but because we actually enjoy solving puzzles. Otherwise you wouldn't see us constantly trying to correct puzzles, I wouldn't bother making a puzzling teaching series, timomo wouldn't have returned the strange festive blackbox when the raffler made the puzzle for only one hour.

You said you don't win enough raffles, Indigo offered you a solution - go to puzzle section. Whether you want to do it or not, it's up to you. There isn't any other thing you can do about it. I understand you want to feel lucky and win something, but when there are thousands of people entering raffles, your chances of winning are pretty low indeed.

There's no need to spread hatred towards puzzles because you can't solve some of them

Like I said before, I'm not trying to start an argument (in this case, or in your words, "spread hatred"), I'm just displaying my pent-up emotions about my recent success rate of the literal thousands I've joined in the past few weeks (including a recent 8 puzzle ones), being fueled by nonstop school assignments, essays, and projects on the side, ending up with one big pissed off person. No one here's "spreading hatred", just briefly blowing their "tops" (like Uncle Sam (is that his name? The prospector midget) from Looney Tunes.)

I'm sorry for bursting the bubbles of anyone here, but it seems like the discussion is mostly about puzzle raffles, so I'll just put this here and sneak back into the darkness.

You have entered 10,933 public raffles in total and won 114 items from 87 raffles.

I've won quite a bit, but most of that got reraffled over time in more than 3 keys worth of raffles.