Secret Santa or failed project

RobocatiK

Well, I think staff has done what they could, last year they warned people about trade holds via announcements. The site inventory has always been used for the secret santa event, it's unnecessary to spend more money on bots, people with a site inventory limit of 5 (normal users, donators have more) just can't make auctions (if they give 5 gifts) for a few days.

Keep in mind that you only hear the cases where something went wrong.

Considering lots of people joined this event, I think it went pretty smoothly, maybe next year the reminder should have a link to https://scrap.tf/help/kb/193 , just so people can confirm they've given their gift.

The UX for selecting a gift definitely needs some work. Having to visit the page twice to trade items and then "select" them is pretty silly, especially when the site makes no effort to tell you that you didn't actually select a gift at any point before the deadline. Sure the secret santa page itself tells you, but if I mistakenly assumed that the trade offer was all I needed to do, as many have done, I wouldn't be on that page to see it. The volume of people who followed this same logic is definitely high enough to question the intuitiveness of the current system.

Considering the site has a notification system, i'm honestly surprised that no-one thought to use it to remind people who hadn't selected a gift when the deadline was near. A simple "Hey, you have 24 hours to select a gift before you're marked as a grinch, go here to select your items!" would have saved a lot of trouble.

Either way, I think a fair bit of the blame lies with the site on this occasion. With that in mind, I hope that the people affected by this are not treated like people who deliberately didn't gift items.

As for the event itself, please improve the current system with these issues in mind for next year. The last thing we need is a copy-paste with the same problems for a 3rd time. 

While I'm here, I still don't get why rerolling wasn't possible this year, Top_Cat implemented it last year, notification and everything, so what happened there?

36 minutes ago, Lukiday 🐈 said:

Considering lots of people joined this event, I think it went pretty smoothly

I think we should wait until after the 25th before deciding that, last year sure was fun on that day ;).

Edited by Jim
12 minutes ago, Jim said:

I think we should wait until after the 25th before deciding that, last year sure was fun on that day ;).

Yeah, there will always be people that want to send their gift on the last day and receive theirs the day it is gifted. Delivering about ~6000 items (considering the amount of bots that had to be added) to at least 1200 people will take quite a bit of time.

Unless there's something else I missed last year, some people will just have to wait a bit.