Jump to content
Gaia's Minion

Minimum Bid "bar" and limit on Auctions.

Recommended Posts

One of the main problems that Auctions have is people using them as Trades, if you go to the Auctions page you'll see about 90% of the people there  "Auctioning" items and asking for their full bp.tf price, and some even have the "guts" to go "Selling this for 0.33 less than bp.tf price!"

 

I know that you can say that no one is forcing me nor other people to actually bid on those "Auctions" and I can simply ignore them, but when about 330/350+ Auctions are just Trades, it gets really frustrating, from (!) Users to Super Donators, everyone seems to not be able to understand that when you Auction items, you don't ask for their full price, you take what people bid no matter if you "lose" a lot.

 

I talked about a way of fixing this a long time ago, what I propose is a system that lets you customize your MB but it doesn't let you set the Minimum Bid at over 50% of the total price of the item(s) that you want to put in an Auction.

 

I.e.

You're Auctioning a bunch of items that are worth 10 Refs in total there would be 3 options/choices at the "Minimum Bid" tab, the first one being No Minimum Bid, the second one would be Customize Minimum Bid Percentage, where you could set the MB from 1 to 49% of the total price of the items, and the third option would be Set Minimum Bid at 50%, in this case, 5 refs.

 

I think that with this system, Auctions would be real Auctions where people get in bidding wars, instead of Trades where you barely get more than 5-10 bids. And it could make more people be interested in the Auctions Tab of the site. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the main problem here is that no one would want to create an auction where they make an outright loss. Quite frankly, I'm not sure if this is right, but I use auctions for mainly two reason: 1. To gauge demand for certain items. 2. To advertise my trades.

 

Using the bids I get for a certain type of item (e.g. hats with bad paints, almost low crafts) I can tell how much I should charge for it in future trades or whether to auction more of that type of item.

 

I also post my trades as auctions on Scrap.tf because I know the auctions section here gets much, much, more traffic than trades on TF2outpost or classifieds on backpack.tf. Not only that, but the type of people who bid on Scrap.tf are people who are looking for cool items and are willing to pay a fair price for them, unlike on other trading sites where the only buyers are profiteers who only buy discounted items.

 

All in all, I think you might have misconceived what the purpose of the auctions section is. The auction section doesn't exist so people can buy items at a discount. One of the most important reasons, if not the main reason, the auction section exists is so that people can try to get a good price for the item they are trying to sell.

 

(That being said, it might be beneficial if the auctions had a larger cooldown. People post "trade" type auctions (e.g. me) post them serially, while people who are selling for discount usually just put all the items into one auction. If the cooldown was a full ten minutes, the ratio of discounted item auctions to normally priced item auctions might be much higher.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Theta said:

I think the main problem here is that no one would want to create an auction where they make an outright loss. Quite frankly, I'm not sure if this is right, but I use auctions for mainly two reason: 1. To gauge demand for certain items. 2. To advertise my trades.

 

Using the bids I get for a certain type of item (e.g. hats with bad paints, almost low crafts) I can tell how much I should charge for it in future trades or whether to auction more of that type of item.

 

I also post my trades as auctions on Scrap.tf because I know the auctions section here gets much, much, more traffic than trades on TF2outpost or classifieds on backpack.tf. Not only that, but the type of people who bid on Scrap.tf are people who are looking for cool items and are willing to pay a fair price for them, unlike on other trading sites where the only buyers are profiteers who only buy discounted items.

 

All in all, I think you might have misconceived what the purpose of the auctions section is. The auction section doesn't exist so people can buy items at a discount. One of the most important reasons, if not the main reason, the auction section exists is so that people can try to get a good price for the item they are trying to sell.

 

(That being said, it might be beneficial if the auctions had a larger cooldown. People post "trade" type auctions (e.g. me) post them serially, while people who are selling for discount usually just put all the items into one auction. If the cooldown was a full ten minutes, the ratio of discounted item auctions to normally priced item auctions might be much higher.)

 

I've said it for Months now. Auctions are for getting rid of items you've had and have tried to sell for a long time to no avail, a last resort to get anything for your hard to sell items without caring how much you "lose".

 

i.e. Been trying to sell a 1.33 Hat for 15 refs because it has Pink paint for a year? Auction it and take whatever people bid, be it 2 refs, 5 refs, or 10 refs. Anything would be better than keep trying to sell the hat for 15 refs for even more time.

 

You see it in real life Auctions, one person Auctions an old car that's been unused for 10 years, the car is worth $30K but the bid only reaches $15K, the Auctioneer takes it, granted, they might not be thrilled, but it's better than nothing, and it sure is better than keeping that old car unused for another 10 years.

 

 

If people want to Sell their items instead of putting them for Auction, then they can go to Outpost, Bp.tf, Trade Servers, etc. and stop filling the Auction Section, with stuff such as "Lime hat for 1 key, bp.tf price 1.5 keys!!!1!", "1 REF OF DISCOUNT", etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2017 at 1:48 PM, Gaia's Minion said:

 

I've said it for Months now. Auctions are for getting rid of items you've had and have tried to sell for a long time to no avail, a last resort to get anything for your hard to sell items without caring how much you "lose".

 

i.e. Been trying to sell a 1.33 Hat for 15 refs because it has Pink paint for a year? Auction it and take whatever people bid, be it 2 refs, 5 refs, or 10 refs. Anything would be better than keep trying to sell the hat for 15 refs for even more time.

 

You see it in real life Auctions, one person Auctions an old car that's been unused for 10 years, the car is worth $30K but the bid only reaches $15K, the Auctioneer takes it, granted, they might not be thrilled, but it's better than nothing, and it sure is better than keeping that old car unused for another 10 years.

 

 

If people want to Sell their items instead of putting them for Auction, then they can go to Outpost, Bp.tf, Trade Servers, etc. and stop filling the Auction Section, with stuff such as "Lime hat for 1 key, bp.tf price 1.5 keys!!!1!", "1 REF OF DISCOUNT", etc.

 

Even though auctions are frequently used to get rid of unwanted items in real life, this doesn't mean that this is their sole purpose. Auctions are a valid way to make profit and gauge demand for certain items, and this is how people are using them on Scrap.tf. Some auctions may be stupid, but some auctions legitimately try to sell items for their backpack.tf value without discount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think about unusual worth 100+keys. With this system unusual auctioneers would get bids of 50 keys on their 100 key unusual, thereby losing lots of money. Sure this may work on smaller things like craft hate, but people with expensive items who are smart would never do this. They could just quicksell for 70 keys and make 20 keys more than they would at an auction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Auctions are for 2 things when you don't want an item anymore and your trying to get a bit of a profit/ the bots won't except the items or if you are me reselling items which I won't tell you how I get, but just know I spend a lot of free time looking for those items. If this was in place not only would people bid .11 ref on everything sometimes they'll win with that .11 P.S. If anyone says that's not what auctions are for people make a living doing this in real life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChocolateFOP said:

Think about unusual worth 100+keys. With this system unusual auctioneers would get bids of 50 keys on their 100 key unusual, thereby losing lots of money. Sure this may work on smaller things like craft hate, but people with expensive items who are smart would never do this. They could just quicksell for 70 keys and make 20 keys more than they would at an auction.

That's why it's called an auction and not a quicksell????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use auctions to see generally interest in items, and what actually sells. Putting an item item up for auction which I am only guaranteed half of what it is worth is very unappealing. Instead, scrap tf should just keep auctions without restrictions as it currently is, but add a search function that filters out stuff like actual quicksells, unpriced stuff, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about turning auctions into Sealed first-price auctions this means everyone only has one chance (or maybe two in case something wrong happens in the first bid) to bid and if your bid is rejected by the auctioneer you cant bid again. Also no one knows each others bids. Only the auctioneer will know the highest bid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, timomo3 said:

How about turning auctions into Sealed first-price auctions this means everyone only has one chance (or maybe two in case something wrong happens in the first bid) to bid and if your bid is rejected by the auctioneer you cant bid again. Also no one knows each others bids. Only the auctioneer will know the highest bid

I would like this as an option that you could turn on and off because I do like a good old bidding war every now and again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...