In Need of an Insightful Computer Geek for Computer Questions

Just some computer info questions, if that's not too much to ask. I don't know jack sh*t when it comes to processors, RAM, CPU's, etc etc. or anything involving technology or computer science unless you count operating a microwave.

Anyways, as a clueless user myself, I thought I'd get some help figuring some stuff out in terms of which is "larger", in a metaphorical sense.

• How good is an Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 graphics card? Is it able to run most modern (GTA V, Battlefield 1, etc etc.) games, or do I need to upgrade it?
  • If I do need to upgrade, what's a strong, reliable graphics card that can run something like Battlefield 1, as I've heard it needs a larger graphics card than even GTA V? And, if possible, could you provide me a link to one on eBay, Amazon, etc.?
  • As of right now, my current computer's setup (as I've searched and written down) is:

(RAM) - 12.0 GB RAM

(Processor) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz    2.71GHz (4CPUs) ~2.7GHz

(DirectX Version) - DirectX 12

(CPU Speed) - 3.25 GHz

(Type of Memory) - DDR3

(System Type) - 64-bit operating system

(Free Disk Space) - 1.54TB (I'm like, 99% sure I'm safe with this one)

(Graphics Card) - Intel(R) HD Graphics 530

I know something here needs an upgrade, probably the graphics card, but is the rest able to handle GTA V at least?

• Are the Ripjaw X series a graphics card or a processor?

I don't think I'm really qualified for this, I'm not really an expert on this subject, but I can try.

One thing though: Intel graphics are integrated graphics (which your cpu makes), you don't seem to have a graphics card.

Also 12 GB of ram seems weird, unless you have 3*4gb ram, which you don't see that often anymore.

I'm not sure how big your budget is, but if possible, I'd suggest a gtx 1060 (a 1050 ti should also work fine, but I'd say a 1060 is a good in-between). It is reliable and you get what you pay for. For which brand, I don't really have a favorite, I'd suggest you read some reviews for each one of them, but as they are all built on the same chipset, it shouldn't make a huge difference.

As the 10 series has been out for a bit now, prices of the 9's (960,970,980) might have dropped a bit.  If you are okay with playing on low settings, these should be quite affordable right now. EDIT: They havent :( 

You should be okay running gta v on low settings, once you've got a graphics card:

bmr9f1nuqb.png

I'm not so sure about Battlefield 1 though, you cpu is beneath the minimum reccomended settings. Depending on the graphics card you get this usually doesn't mean that the game is unplayable, but you might not even get 30 fps on all low settings. 

m98y25fzmh.png

Edited by Lukiday

So a massive L on fps then... hmm... then again, I only really care about GTA V's requirements, Battlefield 1's is the next level, or a larger scale on GTA's. 

The reason I asked was because before (not today, but like a few months ago, during the last Steam Sale in winter I think), I purchased Just Cause 2 when it was on sale, thinking mindlessly that my PC would run it. When I booted up the game, my f**king word it was like, 1-2 fps, at the absolute MOST 8.Luckily I was able to return it for full price the next day. So I know just how bad my graphics card must be, and my PC's I think from 2015, and I got it over a year ago, so I must have gotten one with a da*n good RAM amount, especially on extra Disk Space.

So how much weaker is a 1050 to a 1060? Besides a slight difference in performance-wise, is it still safe to get if I want to get GTA V to run smoothly? And if it's not too much to ask, could you provide me a link to one that's cheap w/ 4 stars rating [at least]? 

The 1050 is significantly weaker than a 1060, but that doesn't mean it's bad. A 1050 will be able to run even Battlefield 1 fine, just not at high settings. It's about the same as the recommended GPU for GTA 5, though; so you could probably use some nice looking settings at a high fps. A 1060 will be solid for both games and see you through even more intense games for a while.

It really comes down to price. This is always a pain in the a** to deal with since the prices are always changing with all the slightly different cards of the same model and the stocks of each of them. As of now, the 1050 is around $150 and the 1060 is around $400–700. (Only get one that's around $400, though.) These two that I found seem to be good choices of each card:

GTX 1050 (Should be about $150)

GTX 1060 (Should be about $400)

I wouldn't be surprised if that model of the 1060 jumps up in price or goes out of stock. The 1050 might go out of stock, too. If either happens, I can find another one.

If you can afford it, I'd say get a 1060; but if you can't/don't want to spend that much, a 1050 is completely fine.

Also, the Ripjaw X series are RAM sticks, which you have plenty of and don't need to upgrade.

2 minutes ago, Pegapnea said:

The 1050 is significantly weaker than a 1060, but that doesn't mean it's bad. A 1050 will be able to run even Battlefield 1 fine, just not at high settings. It's about the same as the recommended GPU for GTA 5, though; so you could probably use some nice looking settings at a high fps. A 1060 will be solid for both games and see you through even more intense games for a while.

It really comes down to price. This is always a pain in the a** to deal with since the prices are always changing with all the slightly different cards of the same model and the stocks of each of them. As of now, the 1050 is around $150 and the 1060 is around $400–700. (Only get one that's around $400, though.) These two that I found seem to be good choices of each card:

GTX 1050 (Should be about $150)

GTX 1060 (Should be about $400)

I wouldn't be surprised if that model of the 1060 jumps up in price or goes out of stock. The 1050 might go out of stock, too. If either happens, I can find another one.

If you can afford it, I'd say get a 1060; but if you can't/don't want to spend that much, a 1050 is completely fine.

Also, the Ripjaw X series are RAM sticks, which you have plenty of and don't need to upgrade.

So I'll be able to run it just fine without too much issues if I just got the 1050? I feel as though I'm going to also pay for the expert installation as well, as I fear f*cking up my system if I do something wrong, and having to pay a grand for something that could have been avoided for less than a tenth of it doesn't sound fun.

9 minutes ago, Starco said:

So I'll be able to run it just fine without too much issues if I just got the 1050? I feel as though I'm going to also pay for the expert installation as well, as I fear f*cking up my system if I do something wrong, and having to pay a grand for something that could have been avoided for less than a tenth of it doesn't sound fun.

Yeah. It's not even that you'll have issues, though; just sometimes you won't be at a perfect 60fps.

Installing a GPU is actually pretty simple. This video explains the basic stuff. If you're still pretty confused, you can still go with the expert installation.

That video reminded me of things I completely forgot about, though. What wattage is your power supply? It'll probably say it somewhere on it. It's the box that the power cable goes into. You might have to open your case and look on the side of it, though, I don't know. Also, look inside your case and make sure there's enough physical room around the slot that the GPU will go into. It's the longest slot that looks like the one in the video and probably says PCIe next to it. The size of the GPU is on it's amazon page if you look around.

What part of it are you supposed to open, and how do you do so? Apparently there's supposed to be a label or sticker with the wattage on it, but I'm not sure which part you crack open. As for space, I'm pretty sure, like 95% that it'll fit. It says it's 5.7in on the website link you provided me in your previous comment, so it seems like it'd fit, but just to make sure, where do I open it?

10 hours ago, Starco said:

What part of it are you supposed to open, and how do you do so? Apparently there's supposed to be a label or sticker with the wattage on it, but I'm not sure which part you crack open. As for space, I'm pretty sure, like 95% that it'll fit. It says it's 5.7in on the website link you provided me in your previous comment, so it seems like it'd fit, but just to make sure, where do I open it?

One of the big sides of your case should come off completely. Every case has a different way to do it, though. You'll have to look around for something to unclip, slide, push, etc. The side might even slide out on it's own.