Sign in to follow this  
CornMaized

Alerts for raffles and or comments via email.

The only problem I see with these is people not wanting to provide email, you might be able to use a alert bot on steam? I checked only the first 5 pages of rejected and accepted and I didn’t see this so yeah.

9 hours ago, CornMaized said:

The only problem I see with these is people not wanting to provide email, you might be able to use a alert bot on steam? I checked only the first 5 pages of rejected and accepted and I didn’t see this so yeah.

But why though? Like, what would make you "need" Email notifications over Site notifications?

2 hours ago, CornMaized said:

Sometimes I forget to check scrap.tf, I mean it isn’t the worlds most nescarry thing but, I might help to know when someone bids on your raffle or if you win a raffle

So, you forget to check scrap.tf but wouldn't forget to check your email? 

32 minutes ago, Gaia's Minion said:

So, you forget to check scrap.tf but wouldn't forget to check your email? 

Yes because my email is on my phone, and makes a noise when I email comes through. 

After searching the forums and account settings tab, I was surprised to find that scrap.tf doesn't have the option for email notifications for auctions or raffles, or any other notifications for that matter besides desktop. This is a problem on several fronts, firstly if someone is a long distance from their computer (such as on a vacation, at school or university or any other place where the avid and attentive use of a PC or Laptop is not possible). 

But why do I suggest a push for email notifications rather than a push for an app to give notifications, well for one an email bot would be much simpler to create than a whole new app for notifications but also more people are managing their email on mobile devices now so they will be notified when they get a new one and notice it practically immediately, meaning they'll be the instant they win a raffle or need to claim an auction. 

Finally, if the idea does get implemented there are some possibilities for customization as well. As some may want to know a half an hour to an hour before something ends, right before it does or not at all, leaving it up to the person.

Thank you for reading, and please tell me your opinions of the concept or how morbidly wrong I am about it 

Edited by TechnicallyIssued
wanted to include auctions in the title as it is meant to notify about them too

It's an interesting idea. I'm not sure what the staff think of it though. They may be concerned about the site being flooded with more activity if people can get notifications of new raffles.

I see several flaws to this idea, as well as have a few questions about it:

• A. How would this work? An overall email bot that informs every 'subscribed' user of a raffler when they've made a new raffle? Or just a general 'subscribe' feature that informs when a raffle has been made?
  • B. Having thousands of users subscribed to, say, a single popular raffle, would possibly [and quite quickly] overwhelm the email bot (I could be wrong, don't have the slightest clue about how much stress bots can handle), which could delay when users receive email notifications.
  • C. Not all raffles are "24-hour w/ 5k+ entries" kind, some are 10 minutes w/ only 100 entries, 5 min. w/ 25 entries, an hour w/ 500 entries, you get the point. For those raffles, what would you intend on doing? Because a notification for an already-ended raffle is basically useless at that point, and not everyone has the time or availability in their (for most people) busy lives to immediately react when a new raffle notification has been received.
  • D. I made a suggestion for something like this a while back, along the lines of implementing a "follow specific raffler/ user" feature, and this sounds somewhat like it, only instead involving email notifications instead of site's.

The idea in itself is nice, but there's just too many glaring flaws in it for me to see it being added.

Edited by MangoStarco