Supernutbar

Pricing

I have an issue with Scrap.tf's pricing. I bought an unusual Bubbling modest pile of hat for around $60 on Marketplace.tf, and was thinking about selling it on Scrap.tf, but Scrap.tf priced it for about 16 keys, where it's valued on Backpack.tf for around 23 keys, (Around $60)! Using Calculator.tf, I found out that I'd be selling it for HALF of what I bought it for just a month earlier! So i'm proposing that Scrap.tf uses the same pricing, (or at least SOMEWHAT similar,) to Backpack.tf.

(P.S. No hate towards Scrap.tf or the creators of Scrap.tf, just an addition I thought would be fair and make everything overall more consistant.)

24 minutes ago, Supernutbar said:

I have an issue with Scrap.tf's pricing. I bought an unusual Bubbling modest pile of hat for around $60 on Marketplace.tf, and was thinking about selling it on Scrap.tf, but Scrap.tf priced it for about 16 keys, where it's valued on Backpack.tf for around 23 keys, (Around $60)! Using Calculator.tf, I found out that I'd be selling it for HALF of what I bought it for just a month earlier! So i'm proposing that Scrap.tf uses the same pricing, (or at least SOMEWHAT similar,) to Backpack.tf.

(P.S. No hate towards Scrap.tf or the creators of Scrap.tf, just an addition I thought would be fair and make everything overall more consistant.)

Scrap.tf basically just quickbuys unusuals.

So Scrap.tf is basically just the quickest way to sell your unusuals for pure, if you want a bit more, you can go to bp.tf or something. If Scrap.tf were to buy Unusuals at full price, then that would pretty much end up in a lot of people selling Unusuals to the Scrap.tf Bots but no one buying them.

On 5/2/2016 at 3:59 PM, Bat-Country | ScrapTF said:

Please understand that we can buy unusuals only at so called "quicksell" prices. We can't pricecheck every unusual manually and we have to apply large enough margins to ensure that price fluctuations and the risk of never selling a previously bought unusual will not cause any losses for us.

If you want to sell unusuals for a better price, you have to look for buyers manually, which can take many hours of research and bargaining. By selling to our bots, you save that time and leave the risk of getting rid of that unusual to us.

If you want to sell 1 oz of Gold, you will also never get the price which is currently the stock market price.

* You either go to a pawn shop (if you need money really badly) and get a terrible rate for your gold, because they have to take the risk your gold coin might be fake or a stolen good... and because they do not have the resources or experience to research the real value of that gold coin,

* You take the time to visit all gold stores and jewelries in your region, get offers and compare them yourself to find the best rate, mind all  the expenses for travelling between the stores.

* or you take even more time to find a private buyer on the internet, risking you will get scammed but having the chance to get the best possible price for your gold

* Or you sell it on ebay and have to pay around 20% in fees for provision and paypal fees, and still have the risk of getting a bad end bid or not selling at the price you wanted.

We are not different. We are basically your pawn shop for TF2 items, we arent actively trading and we do not pay traders to ensure selling the items we bought. If we buy an unusual at an outdated (too high) price, and the price suddenly crashes, we will be sitting on that unusual forever, never finding a buyer and having to realize the loss by selling the unusual at a remarkably lower price than we bought it.

We show you what you will get when selling an unusual. It is your own responsibility to check if you can get a better price for it somewhere else. And note, that just because backpack.tf says a hat is worth that much, doesnt mean anyone will still pay that price. Especially at such a low-volume trading scene like unusuals, the price is always set by what another user is willing to pay for a hat. The buyer makes the prices, not the seller. If a collector wants to pay 1000 keys for a specific unusual because he wants it right now without wasting time finding a seller, he will attract a seller because 1000 keys is a really good profit for a trader, so the collector will get his hat in a short time (while the trader will do all the work of finding that hat for him, persuading the owner to sell it for a cheap enough price so the trader still makes a good profit and so on). But that will never mean that this collector will ever be able to ask for 1000 keys if he decides to sell this hat again, because no one else is willing to pay that much, unless they are a collector for that specific hat too. And finding these people is hard... they usually find you if they want something.

Here's a great explanation for you to understand why Scrap.tf doesn't pay full price.