Sign in to follow this  
Peridot

Alert when one of the items in your bid went missing

I can see that this suggestion would be hard to implement, unnecessary, our responsibilities, etc, but is just a small idea if it is possible

Sometimes the items you have used to bid was accidentally traded away for whatever reasons it may be.

It would be nice if scrap.tf can alert us when that happens so we can either retrieve back the items or outbid our current bid.

This would lower the chance of getting a ban from auction

2 hours ago, Anna said:

I can see that this suggestion would be hard to implement, unnecessary, our responsibilities, etc, but is just a small idea if it is possible

Sometimes the items you have used to bid was accidentally traded away for whatever reasons it may be.

It would be nice if scrap.tf can alert us when that happens so we can either retrieve back the items or outbid our current bid.

This would lower the chance of getting a ban from auction

I'd say it would be hard to implement. Probably would require the Bot(s) to keep an eye on your inventory the whole day, and with the amount of users the site has, it could slow them down.

Not to mention that it could also give you Fake alerts when for example, Steam goes down.

11 hours ago, Gaia's Minion said:

I'd say it would be hard to implement. Probably would require the Bot(s) to keep an eye on your inventory the whole day, and with the amount of users the site has, it could slow them down.

Not to mention that it could also give you Fake alerts when for example, Steam goes down.

I was actually expecting you to say that.

That's why I type the first sentence but I guess I didn't make the point clear enough.

"I can see that this suggestion would be hard to implement, unnecessary, our responsibilities, etc, but is just a small idea if it is possible"

For Bot checking part.

Maybe instead of having it check every individual users all day.

Reduce it to check only when the user have open scrap.tf

For the steam goes down one, maybe they could connect it with http://steamgaug.es/

To shut down the alert system when it detects if steam goes down.

(Of course, I don't if that is possible or is too much coding for something small to implement)

If it is not possible I would rather have something alert me

rather none at all even if it a mistake

Next, I’m expecting you to comment back again with a reason against it

but it really up to the site owner really.

I’m only suggesting if it is possible

Edited by Anna

1 hour ago, Anna said:

I was actually expecting you to say that.

That's why I type the first sentence but I guess I didn't make the point clear enough.

"I can see that this suggestion would be hard to implement, unnecessary, our responsibilities, etc, but is just a small idea if it is possible"

For Bot checking part.

Maybe instead of having it check every individual users all day.

Reduce it to check only when the user have open scrap.tf

For the steam goes down one, maybe they could connect it with http://steamgaug.es/

To shut down the alert system when it detects if steam goes down.

(Of course, I don't if that is possible or is too much coding for something small to implement)

If it is not possible I would rather have something alert me

rather none at all even if it a mistake

Next, I’m expecting you to comment back again with a reason against it

but it really up to the site owner really.

I’m only suggesting if it is possible

You'd be wrong expecting that then :csdsmile:

I'm aware that you said that in the first line, I was just giving my take on it.

As for the rest, won't really say anything else since I have absolutely no idea how coding works on the site. As you said, it'd be up to the site owner, or well, one of the co-owners.

I've seen how it works in backpack.tf.

The bots can't just detect inventory changes, they need to check it to detect an inventory change.

And it's not "the bots" that are detecting it either; It's the website requesting steam API and comparing the previous inventory to see an inventory change.

Backpack.tf does it only if someone checks their inventory; checking someone's backpack in backpack.tf automatically triggers the function to request steam API.

The problem is, scrap.tf needs to CONSTANTLY check it every single second; because that's how notifications work. And even if you change it to "everytime the user visits a link to the site", wait until you hear raffle spammers.

Another thing is, backpack.tf does it all the time, but scrap.tf also has to handle some additional burden to it. It would be easy to code, since backpack.tf already does it, but it could(keyword: could) burden the site a lot.