Sign in to follow this  
Dima

Fix rule related roles

Ill cut straight to the point here

Get rid of the [ ! ] role.

It serves nothing but to label a user as negative. I have seen it used many times as a way to insult and belittle users who do not use the social aspects of the site.

WHO CARES about "i hope i win" comments, they aren't hurting anyone, and calling people out for such a small thing and holding a grudge on more than 1,000,000 users is a bit silly???

The same people who complain about "greedy comments" are the same people who demand acknowledgment, which is just as bad. So by their rules, shouldn't they be punished as well, for being just as greedy? People say its the "grey users" who make the majority of these comments, and label them as lower than them, and the only people on the site who do these things. I know it may be a minority (although, a loud minority) who make these claims, but theyre making them nonetheless.

I feel it'd be fair for everyone to be grouped in the normal "Blue" User role, regardless of reading the rules.

Let's face the facts here. The rules need fixing as well, the current method of "brain wave" tech is outdated and needs a bit of an upgrade. (Though I guess you could have it so only Staff can see if they read rules or not) What's the point of letting normal users see other than to give them a tool to be negative with?

Until then, I feel it is unfair to the silent majority of the user base to continue to be insulted and belittled by users who take the [ ! ] role as a stain on users who, maybe, don't use the site as much as them. 

Hopefully this stuff can be sorted out soon. Thanks~

1 hour ago, Dima said:

Get rid of the [ ! ] role.

It serves nothing but to label a user as negative. I have seen it used many times as a way to insult and belittle users who do not use the social aspects of the site.

I don't see it as a negative label, sure, some people use it as such, but that's on them.

1 hour ago, Dima said:

WHO CARES about "i hope i win" comments, they aren't hurting anyone

While that's true for the most part, they Can indeed hurt others. Can't count how many I've seen those comments on raffles that have serious topics, completely disregarding the message of the raffle without a care. And believe it or not, comments like that can make the raffler feel worse than they already were.

1 hour ago, Dima said:

I feel it'd be fair for everyone to be grouped in the normal "Blue" User role, regardless of reading the rules.

But then it'd end up being the same thing but with a different word, instead of "(!) Users this and that" there'd be "Blue Users this and that". Plus it would kinda mess things up, since they'd be grouped up, how would you know exactly which users are "aware" of how things work on the site, the do's and don't's, etc. from the ones who have just joined the site and are clueless?

1 hour ago, Dima said:

The rules need fixing as well, the current method of "brain wave" tech is outdated and needs a bit of an upgrade. (Though I guess you could have it so only Staff can see if they read rules or not)

How would exactly the Staff see if an user read the rules or not?

Before I say anything else, can I just point out removing the role won't actually reduce bias against them. Even if scrap merged all the users together, people that wanted to insult [ ! ] users would just say "I don't like users that haven't read the rules."

14 hours ago, Dima said:

I've never personally seen anyone use the rank groupings as an insult. That said, the [ ! ] users are by definition less informed about how to properly behave on the site, and so they'll consequently be the group most likely to do things that go against the rules or make comments that just get eaten up by the word filter. It makes sense for other users to sort of hold their collective mistakes against them. They shouldn't be hateful about it though.

image.png.731e8d61ea56f895239440c770a165c7.png

If someone sees someone else blatantly making fun of [ ! ] for being a lower rank, they could report them for that. I think a lot of what you're taking issue with isn't exactly that though. It's that there's users upset with [ ! ] users because they're negatively impacting their experience on the site, and their complaints come across as hateful.

14 hours ago, Dima said:

WHO CARES about "i hope i win" comments,

It's not too much of a stretch to say that would be everyone that regularly reads comments. "I hope I win" type comments are particularly bad because of how frequently they got posted and how close to begging they sometimes seem. If everyone entered a raffle or auction, it's obvious everyone did so hoping they would win. Then if everyone writes that (or really any variation of it), it's not adding anything meaningful to a dialogue and it becomes spam. Here's a screen grab (that I only edited the names on) from an older mega raffle:

image.png.bb61739174caea104689cb139567775c.png

Compare that to the comments section on much more recent one:

image.png.83698206a5b5f6477c2aa54120c4f6ec.png

Technically they're both spam. Despacito could easily be written off as a joke though, and it's certainly not begging. On the other hand, writing in all caps "JUST LET ME WIN SOMETHING" is kind of iffy in terms of begging. Moreover, if someone started a regular raffle, they also wouldn't have a huge chance of being flooded with despacito spam.

14 hours ago, Dima said:

they aren't hurting anyone,

Some really do have a negative impact on others. I don't think most people are suggesting we write them all off as bad or anything though.

14 hours ago, Dima said:

and calling people out for such a small thing and holding a grudge on more than 1,000,000 users is a bit silly???

It is silly, I would go so far as to to say it's really funny and maybe not as serious of a problem as your post comes across off as.

14 hours ago, Dima said:

The same people who complain about "greedy comments" are the same people who demand acknowledgment, which is just as bad. So by their rules, shouldn't they be punished as well, for being just as greedy?

I don't know what it means to demand acknowledgement, so I don't know what you meant by this.

14 hours ago, Dima said:

Let's face the facts here. The rules need fixing as well, the current method of "brain wave" tech is outdated and needs a bit of an upgrade. (Though I guess you could have it so only Staff can see if they read rules or not)

Upgrade? That brain wave scanning tech is already the stuff of science fiction. I'm not even sure scientists will be able to reverse engineer, much less reproduce that technology within a million billion years.

14 hours ago, Dima said:

What's the point of letting normal users see [if others read the rules or not] other than to give them a tool to be negative with?

I think the point of the differing ranks was to encourage users to read the rules by offering them a nice free blue color for their name.

Alright, I won’t argue with any points given, but I propose a question.

whats the difference between a grey user who didnt read the rules, and a P, P+, SP user who read the rules but doesn’t follow them?

There is rank bias that still needs to be addressed

Blue/Premium are aware of the rules and have the choice of obeying them or facing the consequences, ! Users live in ignorance on behalf of the rest of the community, and often face no/minor penalties for their mistakes in comparison to those who've truthfully read them.

6 hours ago, Dima said:

whats the difference between a grey user who didnt read the rules, and a P, P+, SP user who read the rules but doesn’t follow them?

Differences in terms of rules and punishment: None. None of those ranks are somehow above following the rules.

Differences in terms of social standing: None. Everyone from [ ! ] users to super premium are just people, all the same.

Differences in terms of behavior: Implicitly some. The Premium users that read the rules and broke them already did something wrong. A [ ! ] may or may not break the rules. If they don't break them, that's fine. If they do break them, that's not fine.

6 hours ago, Dima said:

There is rank bias that still needs to be addressed

If you could point to something more concrete, maybe. As it stands, I just don't see it being something that requires a more drastic solution.

On 6/12/2018 at 10:22 AM, Mr.Ricardo said:

Fuck no, it's the easiest method of filtering out who have read the rules and who haven't.

Fun fact, you're not a moderator.  It's not your job to filter who's read the rules and and who hasn't.  Imo most of the reason we have this bias issue is because people seem to think "reading" the rules gives them some artificial authority status.

21 hours ago, Mr.Ricardo said:

! Users live in ignorance on behalf of the rest of the community, and often face no/minor penalties for their mistakes in comparison to those who've truthfully read them.

This seems like a fair and unbiased assessment of the situation.

I've felt for awhile now that this needs to go.  Rules are a good thing, but branding particular users only seems to encourage their mistreatment by people with no real stake in the game.  People should be focusing on whether or not someone is following the rules, not whether or not someone did the arbitrary thing.