How would one get better at Heavy?

fungopop

Hm... can't say I've played him too much, but I can probably give out a few general tips.

• Work with your team. This one goes with any class, really, so here's for Heavy, specifically: protect your weaker supporting classes. You'll usually be floating around 200-300 hp, so you can definitely tank a few shots that would otherwise make salsa out of that engineer's build-in-progress sentry or your Medic buddy.
  • Jump before revving. This gets you a little bit more distance, since you keep your initial speed until you land. You can catch people around corners unawares with a half-revved angry Russian, which is great for you.
    • As a side note to this, don't be afraid to crouch every so often while firing. It makes your hitbox a bit shorter, which can make the difference between those last few bullets finishing you off or you running away with around 20-some hp.
  • Seek out closed-in areas. Bullet spread exists, and the minigun does most damage in punching distance anyways. It's better to get in a fight inside a building (making it hard to dodge your wall of lead) than it is to wade through an open plain (one of your hard-counters' home turf).

If you want more in-depth info or just some tips from a more experienced player, I'd recommend you look up Big Joey Slap-Nuts on YouTube. He's pretty good, makes his points clear, and I just like him.