Gaia's Minion

Poll Improvements

A couple of ideas for the Poll System.

1. Settings. A couple of options to modify your poll, options like: Add/Remove optionReset Votes and Delete Poll. These would be available at the Polls Page (which would have to get a direct, easy way to access it) and they'd be small buttons next to the Poll Title, like:

ldtIW67.png

2. Show your Vote(s). A small indicator of what option(s) you voted for.

4VQuTzG.png

3. Change Colors. When hovering over the Graph, show an option (kinda like the one when changing text color) to change the color of the sections of the Graph.

MU4j1I7.png

*4. Show Results as %. Be able to toggle if you want to see the results as normal, or as % in the graph.

oCAbKO2.png

Ofc I don't know exactly how easy it'd be to modify the system with things like that, but it's worth a shot :csdsmile:

Oh my god, I have always been wanting a big poll overhaul. The current poll system has felt limited for a while. Mind if I add some ideas?

Some more settings ideas:

Close or Open Poll. Give the option to toggle when you want people to vote on your polls. I would love to be able to archive my polls for viewing without the risk of skewing results after the poll was meant to be not voted on. An option to reopen them could be implemented too if a closing option exists.

Allow or Disallow Result Viewing. Poll results are automatically allowed to be viewed at any time. It would be nice to keep it hidden as a toggle option, which is helpful for preventing bias or keeping the poll votes only to you.

Disable comments. Raffles have them, so why not polls too?

View who is voting on your polls. A not-so-private stretch, but who the heck is voting on my polls? Enabling something that allows you to see who voted would be useful. Tell the voters that the poll creator will know who is voting as well, just for consent reasons. Definitely should be an initial toggle, or else you would be able to keep the option hidden and enable it later.

Other ideas:

Copy to Clipboard. Sometimes I'm on a window that doesn't allow me to copy from the address bar. On mobile phones, I occasionally access the site from a redirect, which doesn't even let me view the address bar. And on other occasions, it's a hassle to copy it from a phone in the first place. A "Copy to Clipboard" button with the poll address in a field next to it would make copying the link easier.

Special Characters. Poll system doesn't allow some special characters in the title, but does allow them in the choices? It's a little inconsistent. I've tested some characters here in this poll.

Allow poll change when editing a raffle. Once a raffle is created, as in assigned a link only you have initially, you can't change what poll it has, even when reediting the raffle. As it's been so far, the only way to "edit" the raffle poll is to cancel the raffle and create a new one with the new poll instead.

Multiple polls on a raffle. A bit of a stretch, but it would be nice to display more than one poll on a raffle.

And same here, I don't know how difficult it is to implement a "big poll overhaul", but these are just my ideas. :csdsmile:

Edited by Chemoeum

On 2/11/2019 at 12:15 PM, Chemoeum said:

Allow or Disallow Result Viewing. Poll results are automatically allowed to be viewed at any time. It would be nice to keep it hidden as a toggle option, which is helpful for preventing bias or keeping the poll votes only to you.

This'd be nice, it could show the votes as ??? and the graph as just grey, then it could show the results at the end of the raffle or after a set time.

Disable comments. Raffles have them, so why not polls too?

It might be a pit pointless imo since most people don't really know how to access a poll's link.

View who is voting on your polls. A not-so-private stretch, but who the heck is voting on my polls? Enabling something that allows you to see who voted would be useful. Tell the voters that the poll creator will know who is voting as well, just for consent reasons. Definitely should be an initial toggle, or else you would be able to keep the option hidden and enable it later.

This one would probably create some lag, specially on mobile, and with Polls that have a lot of options/votes.

Multiple polls on a raffle. A bit of a stretch, but it would be nice to display more than one poll on a raffle.

And this one would need to include a resizing option, else raffles would be longer due to the multiple polls.

As for the rest, they're great :csdsmile:

Apologies for hijacking your thread but I woke up at like 4 this morning because I wanted to write some things down to do with polls before I would go to sleep and forget about them.

Poll edits

Simple enough, users can edit poll titles or options if they misspell or forget an option or whatever, HOWEVER some limitations will be required to make sure they aren't going to make the poll bias by changing the title in the middle of an active poll. I figured that we could do this in 2 ways, the latter not being as good imo, but it's a way

1. Users can only edit polls when there are no votes on them

This makes sense right, you make a poll and realise you said car instead of cat, this gives you the opportunity to edit your poll and correct your misspelling without creating another poll to correct it. This editing goes for options as well, and the ability to add/remove options is still available.

BUT, once somebody votes on the poll, no more editing by the user. Polls are all unlisted anyway so it's really really unlikely that someone would find a misspellt poll and vote on it so this way users can edit polls as they please until they, or someone who has the link, uses it in a raffle and someone votes in it. This way they can't edit the title of the poll midway through and create bias on the results.

Also this won't affect staff, they can edit the poll at any time if they deem any part of it rule breaking.

2. Allow users to edit their poll at any time, however the votes will be reset once they edit.

This is a possible way to tackle the problem, however I don't think it's the best way to do so. It does allow users to edit their polls on the fly at the cost of removing the votes on it, but it seems a little redundant. Sure it would provide them with the ability to edit any misspellings at the start of the poll before too many votes are cast, but if there are hundreds of votes and you realise you said cats instead of dogs, why bother removing the progress of that poll when you can just make another one? Again, it's a possible way, however I prefer option 1 as it's more logical imo. Also if it does contain rule breaking content and a staff member edits it, then the poll gets reset over one option, which might be a good thing, but maybe not as well.

Rule breaking polls

These upcoming suggestions are more for staff edits than for users. If polls break rules they can be edited by staff once everyone is able to edit polls, sound enough. But we should probably add a couple of extra options to make sure that unintentional parts are removed entirely so that removing rule breaking content can be smoother.

1. Make some poll options unvotable

This might sound weird at first but hear me out. If someone creates a poll with a rule breaking option, it gets removed by a staff member, no big deal. BUT, it would still be an option to vote for, and users would be able to vote for that option, and some would because they think it would be funny to have that option as the top voted. Simply put: if a poll contains an option with rule breaking content, allow the option to be edited to no longer display the rule breaking content, and "lock it" in a sense that nobody can vote for that specific option because they think it would be funny. I don't see the point of voting for an option that had been removed personally

2. Poll titles and poll removals

If a poll has a rule breaking title, that can be removed just fine, however that kinda defeats the purpose of a poll if you don't know what you're voting for. 3 things need to be done in this situation.

1. Remove the title of the poll

Fair enough, this makes sense

2. Remove the poll from the raffle

If the poll has no title, there's no point keeping it in the raffle, it serves no purpose to vote for something when you don't know the question. Just remove it from the raffle, or like what Chemoeum suggested: have the ability to change the poll ID when editing a raffle, but just remove the ID or replace it with a stock poll ID.

3. Make the poll unable to be used in raffles again

If a poll has no title, there's no point voting for it, and there's no point putting it back into a raffle for it to just be removed again. Perhaps either add an option to make the poll "private" so only the poll owner can view it (ie: nobody can view it and it can't be linked in raffles) or make it so that it can't be used in raffles again (ie: if it's tried to be added into a raffle it will not run the raffle because the poll is "marked" in a way). The first way makes it so that only the owner can see it, even if they link it on the site it will spit out an error if anyone but the owner tries to view it, but the second allows anyone to view it as long as they have the link to it. In both ways nobody can link that poll into a raffle.

Ok, I'm done now.

On 2/15/2019 at 3:52 PM, Capadap said:

Poll edits

I think that maybe the 2 options could merge, so it'd be like:

User is able to edit the Poll at any time, once they do they will have an option to Reset the Votes or keep them, the Users Voting will also have an option to leave their Vote or Change it after the Poll has been edited.

The Maximum amount of edits allowed could be like 3, and next to the Poll Title, there will be an (Edited) text.

Rule breaking polls

I haven't really seen a lot of these tbh

1. Make some poll options unvotable

I feel like this would be a bit weird, I mean, how it'd look in the poll and/or the graph? What would be done for the Votes that the option(s) had?

So I think that

2. Poll titles and poll removals

would be the way to go, mainly the Remove the poll from the raffle idea, and should it be possible for Staff, just straight up delete said poll.