How to Profit From a Key?

Trade it for something worth more than itself, then sell that for pure (in this case being another key and some metal, or multiple keys) then repeat the cycle.

Just don't unbox with it, sell it for metal or sell it for something you can't re-sell quickly.

Seeing as how prices are going, I'd say save it. Don't hold me on this, but from what we've seen, Key prices are going up. They went from 15 to 16, and now 17 ref since the start of the year.

In my opinion, it's time for a drop, but then again, we can't stop the inflation after Refs were pumped out all over the place. The more refined there is in the world, the more keys will cost.

My Prediction: Another 3 refined increase before it drops down to around 15ref.

Anyone remember when a key was 6.33?  B)

Key prices are going up.

They're not. Ref price is going down, meaning it's worth less per key. It's like the Pound and the Dollar: Historically the Pound has been very strong (and is one of the strongest currencies still), but over time it's been getting worth less and less compared to the Dollar. A few years ago, $1 was worth £0.60, now it's worth £0.70 (approximations). Now move that over to TF2 currencies: The Key is locked to a USD price, while Ref isn't. Ref used to be 2:1 (approx), but since Ref is so abundant and Keys aren't (comparatively), Ref is becoming worth less and less.

They're not. Ref price is going down.

True. It's a shame that the Ref had to inflate so much.

Many blame this to F2P's Scrap banking, but technically, every time you buy an item, you're inflating the refined.

Craft Hats used to be worth Less/More (Depending on which Time you talk about), but now they're on 1.33, mostly because the refined has stayed on $0.16

When it comes down to it, Valve is to blame for the metal being worthless.  If Valve would add a reason to use up metal then it would have some worth.  It would have been a great idea if when the killstreak kits were added they used metal to upgrade to higher tier kits instead of the new MvM parts, but that's far too late now.

• 2 weeks later...

Trade it for something worth more than itself, then sell that for pure (in this case being another key and some metal, or multiple keys) then repeat the cycle.

Just don't unbox with it, sell it for metal or sell it for something you can't re-sell quickly.

I traded it for items worth about 25-26 ref and some cs go skins