Sign in to follow this  
magic

Raffle Message Length Indicator

idea does not seem to have been suggested before

Just wanted to see if there could be a bit more clarity on the length (not the time in terms of hours or days but literal length in terms of characters or words) restrictions on the create raffle pages for both the raffle message and entered message.

I'm not sure if this has already been stated somewhere as I could not find it but I cannot tell if there is a word limit or a character limit (although there is certainly some kind of limit), nor when I have reached this limit.

I myself have experienced typing more text than the limit and then after saving the raffle, realizing that what I typed is no longer there because anything past the limit was not saved. I have seen other rafflers also make mention of this happening to them.

What I am asking for then, is some sort of indicator that the message limit is reached. Perhaps the entered message box can stop accepting further typed text? If there is a character limit then maybe it can show, for example, 3000/4000 characters typed. Something like this basically.

And someone could definitely argue: who actually reaches the raffle message limit anyways, and the answer is: i don't really have statistics but i've seen a number of rafflers talk about how what they typed was wiped clean so it's not an insignificant amount.

tl;dr - some indicator that the maximum length of raffle message (and the raffle entered message) has been reached would be a useful feature

This would be really nice.

I've had story raffles, paper-esque raffles, and occasionally the char limit would totally cut some of that off. It's a total drag to have to remember what I wrote. And this affects how much of others' raffles I get to read sometimes too.

10 hours ago, magic said:

I'm fairly certain that this has been suggested before, I even remember editing a picture to show how it could be done, though I can't seem to find the post nor the picture.

But anyways, while it certainly would be useful, I don't think it might be possible as it could/would require modifying CKEditor, which as far as I know, Jesse can't really do. (This is also why things like categorizing emotes also can't be done).

An alternative would be maybe making it a notification/error, so if you reach the limit, you get a notification/error saying so, i.e. "You've reached the Character Limit! (2506/2500)".

3 hours ago, Gaia's Minion said:

An alternative would be maybe making it a notification/error, so if you reach the limit, you get a notification/error saying so, i.e. "You've reached the Character Limit! (2506/2500)".

I think that if Jesse can do that, return a value from the editor and popup a notification, then it's still possible he can add a character count somewhere outside of the editor.

I was able to find that CKEditor 5 (the latest version) has a built-in WordCount plugin through its documentation (so this could potentially be what we are looking for), but I don't know how viable moving from the current CKEditor version (4) is, nor exactly the way in which the counting feature would/could be implemented (though all the suggestions above seem somewhat viable).