Sign in to follow this  
Alcoholic Wizard

The removing of raffles by banned users

So this must have been a recent addition, but I've noticed that when attempting to bring up raffles by banned users, whether temporary or permanent, they are completely unavailable. 

I'm not here to speak out about any unjustified bans, to my knowledge anyway I don't know any bans that were unjustified. But in my opinion, getting rid of the history of a raffler is unethical. Now some of these users have highly negatively impacted the site, some have just made some dumb mistakes. In either case, I think the ban is enough. 

People will understand your stance against someone with a ban, at least it shows you are making an active effort to remove the toxicity from the website, and hopefully people will understand and accept that more. But with removing raffles, I believe is unethical, almost as if you are sweeping these problems under the rug. I know this website is better than that.

So I'd suggest just leaving the banned users raffles be

If there is a reason for someone to be banned to the point that they can never come back, the reason is probably justified thoroughly, and the greatest action can be necessary. If anyone found a banned user and they did something potentially dangerous, maybe found through their raffles, their curiosity is a factor in its risk of return. Also, they're never coming back, so their history as a raffler should mean naught of harm to any kind of ethics. And they might not be deleted, just hidden (even if it says otherwise).

What even is unethical about erasing somebody's raffles from a website? They're raffles that generally no one will ever see again or have a reason to. And if you did have a reason, maybe for nostalgic purposes, just accept it as a caveat that this person decided to be a megabitch somehow.

Also, it's possible they were mass hidden to fail-safe for any and all harmful things that the user had said, in all their raffles and in their comments. I couldn't agree more with this action because some things are easy to miss, and the biggest kind of erasure is the safest.

I don't mind banned user raffles getting removed however, the raffles are not deleted, but rather hidden. The actual problem is raffles can be hidden but can still be live. I think this is a problem. You could have a user create two raffles, get banned (temporary) due to one, but the other raffle will still be live yet not accessible. It then gives an advantage to any who have entered the raffle before that user got banned. When they win, they can't exactly view the page either but still be able to withdraw which is odd.

Removing/hiding raffles is ok for anti-archive reasons but when some of the raffles are still live, it can be a problem.

Edited by Ronald_D_D