The key price is out of control but there are some things that can be done 1.Sell buds above market price this will help stabilize the tf2 economy and you get more profit 2.vote on lower key prices a lot this will force the price of keys down eventually 3.Try to balance your inventory so get items idle if needed or craft them if your rich then send them into the system 4.sell keys bellow market price I know this sucks but it must be done Do those 4bsimple things and together we can save the economy

1) Buds are irrelevant to the TF2 economy. They had a value in keys when 8 items per trade was a thing, but since that limit was removed they lost the use and now are just a simplification. However, since they are tied to the price of Refined rather than the price of a key, as Refined has dropped in value, so have Buds. Backpack.tf recently declaring them dead has also lowered their price as they no longer have people willing to use them. This is not a bad thing, it's just an acceleration of what was set in motion a fair while ago.

2)Voting on backpack.tf is just a prediction for the purposes of changing your Reputation on that site. The staff of backpack.tf have final say in all matters of their prices based solely on whether they, in their subjective opinion find the proof to be sufficient. Voting will change nothing other than lowering each user's Reputation on backpack.tf who votes against a key-price suggestion with sufficient proof to have it accepted.

3) This is complete and utter codswallop, tripe and tomfoolery. By suggesting people idle for more items you suggest that more Refined is brought into the economy. That is counterproductive to the goal you present at the start. Instead, to bring Refined some value back, all users should craft together all the metal they have and ever get into Refined, then craft all that Refined into hats, then sell any high-value hats for metal, craft it and continue the cycle. When you have no more metal and no more high-value hats to craft together, craft together all low-value hats, repeating the cycle. By doing this you are directly removing metal from the economy, making it more sparse and counteracting the metal being brought into the economy at all times. If enough people were to do this, metal would gradually become scarcer and scarcer until the average person becomes unable to pay what people are asking for a key, forcing those that wish to sell keys to lower the price they ask.

What this course of action would do is affect the supply and demand in the most concrete way possible - reducing the supply and keeping the demand high to force the price of Refined Metal up.

4) Not going to work. This will just cause people to grab what they can and hoard it until those who can afford to sell keys below the market price can no longer do so. It would be like if everyone on earth donated everything they own to a charity that gave all proceedings to a group of five people to split between them - the economy is still fucked, it's just that all the money is now in the pockets of a small group.

All-in-all, this entire post seems to be nothing but a rambling selection of words strung together in the hopes of a vague point being made. The lack of proper formatting or grammar certainly doesn't help others comprehend what it is you are trying to say, making it seem even worse than it possibly is. I hope that my counter-points and criticisms help you along with coming up with better solutions to the economic issues we face and hell, you may be able to make a difference if you apply yourself to it properly.

~Tweets.

Tweets what's do you think of my new ideas

1.steam needs to make keys cheaper or craftable

2.Add keys as a super rare random drop

3.Have some special events that put keys into the system

This would create more keys in the system making each key worth less that would drive the price of keys down fixing one of the larger problems in the tf2 economy

I think you're looking at it the wrong way, instead of making keys craftable/adding keys to the drop system, why not find ways to get rid of refined metal altogether? Like i dunno, crafting silver weapons for every 1000 refined maybe? Or have another set of chemistry sets which consume tons of weapons dropped to the community? As far as i can see, valve will never reduce the key price, nor will they make them random drops or craftable items, so yeah, find ways to get rid of those pesky refined.

Tweets what's do you think of my new ideas

1.steam needs to make keys cheaper or craftable

2.Add keys as a super rare random drop

3.Have some special events that put keys into the system

This would create more keys in the system making each key worth less that would drive the price of keys down fixing one of the larger problems in the tf2 economy

That would just crash the economy. Remember what happened to Germany with the Deutschmark?

They decided that the way to fix the economy was to just print more money and pay people more. This meant that the money was worth less. By lowering the price of a key or making it craftable, they would make it worth less or worth nothing, essentially crashing the entire economy in one go. Not to mention both would make Valve less money.

The only viable way for Valve to fix the economy without destroying it or lowering what they make is to make metal worth more. How is this done?

I'll use Guild Wars 2 as an example, since i've been playing it a fair bit recently so it's the first example to come to mind.

-Tax on player-to-player trading (Auction House/Black Lion Market, as they're often called in MMOs/what it's named in GW2).

This method would be pretty bad, but it is also one of the most viable. If there were some concrete currency system that wasn't as clunky, perhaps, but the only viable one would be Steam Wallet, which is a no-no.

-Providing something that can only be bought win in-game currency that is not required to play the game but is a quality-of-life improvement and in constant demand. For GW2 this would be Salvage Kits. They cost Coin and have limited uses, or have unlimited use but directly remove a set amount of Coin per use.

This method is Most similar to the suggestions I've seen of 'New Zealandiums', which are chrome/silver Australiums and only available from crafting/putting into a kit a set number of metal. This is a very powerful method of removing metal from the economy, but only if they're always in demand. For this to be viable long-term, the items would have to be from a crafting recipe and create an untradable item, ensuring that only people who want the item craft it, rather than it being crafted constantly for profit in the first month before never being used again. This would dilute the immediate potency of the effect but would encourage users to gather up metal and then craft it into a New Zealandium to show off their dedication while also getting rid of a chunk of metal.

-Salvaging items. In GW2 you salvage unwanted equipment for crafting materials. These can be sold to other players, sometimes for a profit, and sometimes be used yourself. Whichever reason you do it for, you're not putting that item into the economy, and instead are using money to remove money from the economy. The money you get if you sell the materials is money already in the economy, and if you craft it yourself most of the things you craft will be destroyed or re-salvaged for an overall loss of value (in exchange for skill progression).

This can't be applied quite so well to TF2, since the crafting is mainly around items that can't be aquired cheaper through trading and crafting together weapons, which are common enough that you can jsut trade the metal for weapons right here on scrap.tf. Crafting was the original metal sink, but since it's now cheaper to trade your way to the items, the metal isn't going out unless all the copies of the item in existence are taken up (which is unlikely). So, a slight improvement to the crafting system could  be to allow things to be changed for the user. Things like crafting a strage parted Strange with some metal to remove the part without destroying it could cause ripples in the economy due to the fact parts would no longer be single-use, but in exchange would encourage the removal of metal. The ability to pay metal to change an Unusual's effect (either to a random one or to a desired one) would certainly cause massive ripples in the Unusual-trading community, but again, would come with the upside that there is more incentive for users to remove metal from the economy.

TL;DR -

Overall and put simply, the only way to fix the economy without Valve losing out or removing it entirely is to incentivise the removal of currency. Currency in this case being Metal. Incentivise it enough and the price of currency stabilises. Incentivise it even further and the newfound scarcity makes metal's value rise. If there were enough incentive, keys could actually become worth less than metal, though for this to happen would require a ridiculous incentive to get rid of all your metal as opposed to saving it.

3) This is complete and utter codswallop, tripe and tomfoolery. By suggesting people idle for more items you suggest that more Refined is brought into the economy. That is counterproductive to the goal you present at the start. Instead, to bring Refined some value back, all users should craft together all the metal they have and ever get into Refined, then craft all that Refined into hats, then sell any high-value hats for metal, craft it and continue the cycle. When you have no more metal and no more high-value hats to craft together, craft together all low-value hats, repeating the cycle. By doing this you are directly removing metal from the economy, making it more sparse and counteracting the metal being brought into the economy at all times. If enough people were to do this, metal would gradually become scarcer and scarcer until the average person becomes unable to pay what people are asking for a key, forcing those that wish to sell keys to lower the price they ask.

I'm completely and utterly new to trading, so I thought I'd try it out when I'm not doing anything. Regarding the bolded, could I theoretically just buy a bunch of Ref, craft them into hats and then sell those, continuing with your suggestion?

I'm completely and utterly new to trading, so I thought I'd try it out when I'm not doing anything. Regarding the bolded, could I theoretically just buy a bunch of Ref, craft them into hats and then sell those, continuing with your suggestion?

That wouldn't make much of a difference. To make a real difference, you're probably going to have to craft 10,000 ref to even make a dent in the stock of refined metal.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, here.

What about 1000 ref is "unrealistic"?

There's millions if not billions of Refined Metal in the economy and to make enough of a usage there would need to be a lot put in. Currently Collector's items use 200 hats, which equates to 266Refined, and they're not all that desired. Best way to go about it would be making tiers of upgrades for the hypothetical 'New Zealandiums' - a cheapo tier at around 50 Refined, which is accessible to anyone, a mid-tier at 200Refined, accessible to many, a higher tier at 500 or 1000, then a few more tiers getting to 10,000 or so. Hell, it could be ranked up like Stranges, but with metal processed into it.

Killstreak kits should have been the solution to this.  I can't believe Valve didn't see an opportunity to use metal to craft those things since they are very much desired.  Then again, Valve doesn't really know the economy in this game exists.

Killstreak kits should have been the solution to this.  I can't believe Valve didn't see an opportunity to use metal to craft those things since they are very much desired.  Then again, Valve doesn't really know the economy in this game exists.

TF2's still alive but it's on Valve's backburner as CSGO is their main focus now.

TF2's still alive but it's on Valve's backburner as CSGO is their main focus now.

The CSGO community feels they're on the backburner, too.

As far as I'm aware, Dota 2 is the main focus for much of Valve, with CSGO having a fair-sized team working on it but little in the way of new content being added (admittedly there's not much you can add to CSGO since it's so rigidly formulaic, only balance tweaks and more skins with a new map every decade) and TF2's team is very small and the few that are working on it are rather out of touch due to lack of communication with the userbase.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, here.

Yeah haha, I might've completely misworded what I meant, but it looks like it was answered.

It seems that my small contribution to fixing the economy is clear now, after reading the issue and the possible solutions.