Sign in to follow this  
Cleffy

Instant chance to win raffles

Hello! ❤️

I talked about this idea in the chat before but I thought I should put it here too.

So basically I wanted to suggest an alternate raffle type where the user has a chance to win the raffle instantly when they click the join button rather than the winner being selected when the timer ends.

The raffler would be able to set the winning chance within certain limits set by the site. The raffles could still have a time limit to prevent some raffles from staying on an absurd amount of time in case nobody gets lucky.

What I'm getting at currently for this suggestion, is some sort of "Scratch Card" option (I'm calling it that due to it being a bit similar considering you don't need to wait for a lucky number to be drawn, rather you need to have a pair of something after you've bought your ticket, in this instance, entered a raffle)

However, there's some factors that you haven't quite considered. The fact that users can still leave raffles and rejoin at will is still a feature, however removing that should this feature ever be added wouldn't be too hard. But, the amount of users that join a raffle would really nullify the winning chance that a person could set, even if it was astronomically low, could still be won in a matter of minutes or hours.

I don't however, agree with the statement of leaving a "time limit" on raffles on top of the current time limit that already exists (Being how long you want your raffle to stay up). I get that the Scratch Card suggestion is an alternative mode, but every user on the site should have a chance to win something, and not be immediately disappointed when they couldn't join an unusual "Scratch Card" raffle that only had one person join that beat all odds and won immediately.

Edited by Gilvar

However, there's some factors that you haven't quite considered. The fact that users can still leave raffles and rejoin at will is still a feature, however removing that should this feature ever be added wouldn't be too hard. But, the amount of users that join a raffle would really nullify the winning chance that a person could set, even if it was astronomically low, could still be won in a matter of minutes or hours.

I don't see what's bad about not being able to leave this type of raffle. People entering it would know that when they click the button they will either win the items or they don't. It would be like entering a raffle that hits max participants or when the timer is just about to stop.

And when it comes to your second point, how is that a bad thing? My entire point was to suggest a raffle type that ends when someone gets lucky rather than the winner being selected at the end of the raffle. Yes, it could be 1 minute or it could be 5 hours.

I don't however, agree with the statement of leaving a "time limit" on raffles on top of the current time limit that already exists (Being how long you want your raffle to stay up). I get that the Scratch Card suggestion is an alternative mode, but every user on the site should have a chance to win something, and not be immediately disappointed when they couldn't join an unusual "Scratch Card" raffle that only had one person join that beat all odds and won immediately.

The only reason I suggested a time limit was to prevent the raffle page from getting cluttered with old raffles in case no one happens to win them. When the time limit stops the item would be returned to the raffler. It could be something like 1-3 days.

I don't see how this version of raffles is any more "disappointing" than regular type raffles. The only difference is you'll know if you won instantly and not when the raffle timer ends. You could say the same thing about raffles with 1000 participant limit.

This is too risky of a move because some would abuse by creating multiple account and faking IP addresses to bypass a ban

I guess that's a good point but people could do the same thing with regular raffles too in an attempt to maximize their winning chances. I guess instantly knowing if you wont might encourage that though.