scrap.tf prices too high?

Well, i have like 1 month in scrap.tf and i saw the items price-list, I checked the "Price we buy it" and "Price we sell it" parts, I was shocked, well, they sell the items in DOUBLE price, I mean like, I saw an item that they buyed for 10 refined, and they were selling it at 14.33 ref. WHAT!?

In conclusion: scrap.tf prices are too high for people that can't get metal that easy.

If you agree, tell me down bellow.

Edited by Link the Slag

People that can't get metal that easy? 

Honey, part of the reason why refined went down in price in the first place is that everyone had metal. Metal even now is super easy to come by whether it's through weapon drops or trading for profit. I wouldn't even say that Scrap.tf sells items for super high prices. It's usually at market price or a little above market price & you have to understand that people are willing to pay the extra price just for convenience which is what Scrap.tf is here for. 

Hi again, I did a test. I buyed 4 cosmetics, 1.44 ref. each one, then I tried to buy different items of same price, Scrap.tf puts my items in 1.33 ref. while their items price was the same one, 1.44 making my items cheaper by 1 scrap, and i couldn't buy other items, so yeah, I think that Scrap.tf takes our items in same price but -1 scrap.

Well, in my opinion, it's bad for me, because i'm not that good in selling and trading.

EDIT: I can't sell the items in Scrap.tf prices neither because people would start complaining about the prices and they won't buy anything.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, here.

The prices on average should be that we sell slightly above market price and buy slightly below it. Because we can more efficiently trade than a manual trader, we can cut down those margins and rely upon volume of sales rather than a few small, high-profit sales.

Scrap.tf exists to give users a quick service with easy access to the items they want, at a slight premium. that slight premium is where we make the profit. For items that people don't want to buy form us much but want to sell to us a lot, we'll pay very little, and for items users don't want to sell to us much but want to buy quickly, we'll ask them to pay a larger premium. This all ensures that a consistent margin is kept, helping us stay in business and ensuring we don't become flooded with things nobody wants or always out of things everybody wants.

Me again, well, today i sold 4 cosmetics I buyed here, he overpayed me in items with a Pocket Heavy painted in australium gold, it's worth 6.97 ref, i wanted to sell it here, but it says it will pay me 1.33 ref. and not 6.97 ref. so, yeah.

​Thats because scrap.tf hat banking dont pay more for paint. it used to be the same with strange parts until they changed it.

Sadly, I can't sell this, because everybody hates paints, now i have 6.97 ref in items without use.

EDIT: Even the item without any modifications,it's worth 2 ref, it keeps giving me 1.33 ref.

​If you're doing hat banking, it takes ALL hats under a certain value as a craft hat. The 'certain value' should be listed if you had read the price list where it states '2.55 - 9.11 Refined', this is when they start paying proper prices such as 3 ref for a 3.33 ref hat. Your 2 ref hat is under the 2.55 ref requirement which makes the bot offer 1.33 ref.

Anyway, for anyone reading this I'd like to bring up something I've seen over the past months of checking the item bot everyday. Whoever decides the prices of these items should learn the market before making prices as I've seen countless times where an item is sold out at market price and for some reason they decide to raise both their buying and selling price which causes them to be overstocked. Particularly with expensive items, the time it takes for them to alter the price is worrying. When an item drops in value, it can take literally weeks for the prices to change causing the bots to be overstocked on multiple items and have no keys in stock (previously, bots always had no keys until like 300 was put into each bot). Strangely, after it's realized that the price is too high, sometimes the price gets dropped to below market price which causes it to sell out quick (I've profited off this a few times) and results in a loss for scrap.tf as the item was sold cheaper than they bought it at. This is just my concern but the prices need to be managed better as it's resulted in hundreds of keys worth of loss/potential profit. To relate it to the OP, scrap.tf prices are both high and low (I understand convenience but some of the profit margins are ridiculous, just my opinion).

​Snip

​Shadow, our PM for Itembanking, isn't the fastest fellow. However, we let these kinds of things happen as he has incentive to maximise the profit Itembanking creates. Unfortunately since he has so many other trading things to do like trading his flashy hats and something to do with Outpost (I think), It ends up taking him a long time to change things. Presumably he does an acceptable job though, since he's still around.

​Shadow, our PM for Itembanking, isn't the fastest fellow. However, we let these kinds of things happen as he has incentive to maximise the profit Itembanking creates. Unfortunately since he has so many other trading things to do like trading his flashy hats and something to do with Outpost (I think), It ends up taking him a long time to change things. Presumably he does an acceptable job though, since he's still around.

Yeah, I did have the thought that the person responsible for Itembanking would be busy, especially dealing with the amount of items that the bot accepts I do understand that it would be a tough job. If by Shadow you mean that really high tier trader with that purple name on outpost, that's more understandable I guess. Never would have guessed he was responsible for itembanking :o

• 1 year later...
On 5/21/2015 at 7:13 PM, LinkSlag said:

Hi again, I did a test. I buyed 4 cosmetics, 1.44 ref. each one, then I tried to buy different items of same price, Scrap.tf puts my items in 1.33 ref. while their items price was the same one, 1.44 making my items cheaper by 1 scrap, and i couldn't buy other items, so yeah, I think that Scrap.tf takes our items in same price but -1 scrap.

Well, in my opinion, it's bad for me, because i'm not that good in selling and trading.

EDIT: I can't sell the items in Scrap.tf prices neither because people would start complaining about the prices and they won't buy anything.

If you ever heard of something called *cough* PROFIT TRADING *cough-cough*, it's a magical thing where you slightly inflate an item's worth and sell it for that much more than what it's originally worth, to make a bit of extra profit. But it usually only works for Stranges, Unusuals (GOOD unusuals, not low-tier shitty ones), Australiums (Killstreaks w/ strange parts usually), etc., so don't think it'll work if you try trading from a scrap to an unusual like most tutorials tell you to, people will easily catch on and foil your plan before it gets underway. If you ask if anyone wants to buy a weapon for a scrap each, you're just blantantly stating your a sucker for the whole scrap to unusual method EVERYONE's done before.

Basically, get with the programs and actually learn about the in-depth parts and strategies around real-world trading and consumer buy-and-demand deals/ market.

19 hours ago, Starco said:

If you ever heard of something called *cough* PROFIT TRADING *cough-cough*, it's a magical thing where you slightly inflate an item's worth and sell it for that much more than what it's originally worth, to make a bit of extra profit. But it usually only works for Stranges, Unusuals (GOOD unusuals, not low-tier shitty ones), Australiums (Killstreaks w/ strange parts usually), etc., so don't think it'll work if you try trading from a scrap to an unusual like most tutorials tell you to, people will easily catch on and foil your plan before it gets underway. If you ask if anyone wants to buy a weapon for a scrap each, you're just blantantly stating your a sucker for the whole scrap to unusual method EVERYONE's done before.

Basically, get with the programs and actually learn about the in-depth parts and strategies around real-world trading and consumer buy-and-demand deals/ market.

(The original post was made nearly  2 years ago)