Why are people freaking over random crits

drunkbanana

Valve's official servers have them and people like myself aren't willing to go out of their way to find the five servers that have a few people on each of them just to have the game run in a way that is less prone to bullshit lucky occurrences.

Exactly what Tweets says, especially with the new contracts. I don't see why random crits are needed in the game. I've had moments where I jumped on a full control point and killed 5+ people with a random crit rocket. It's fun and all but it's rather unbalanced. There is a reason they're disabled in comp play.

Yeah, but pub isn't comp, and pub isn't balanced. It is for fun. You have the option of seeking out non-pub servers where your needs are catered to. Crits are an intended part of the game's design, and I wouldn't put odds on them going anywhere anytime soon.

Edited by Ragnarok Rose

That mindset is... I don't agree with it. The game should be balanced in all levels of play. Just because one area is less serious does not mean it can get away with downright broken things. The pub experience is, after all, what Valve created the game for.

I feel (random) crits should be abolished because they do not add what they were intended to add and the majority of a person's experience with them are negative. They don't even work as intended. They were created to give a player on a losing streak a game-forced lucky break. Strangely, though, they reward players who have been doing more damage in the last 20s, which seems counterintuitive. also, what place does a game-forced lucky break have in a PvP game? Perhaps in a game focussed on PvE content, eith a side of PvP, but TF2 has no story mode, in fact, the only vE mode is vs bots, which is intended to simulate real players.

Part of the discontent with this is, I think, the seperation of skill level. Competition play doesn't include critical hits because the fanbase's meta believe that the mechanic doesn't accurately reflect the player's skill. In public gameplay, there's other stuff going on- different skill levels mean that the field of play can be leveled a little bit by intervention.

Another important point to consider is that the scaling damage mechanic increases survivability of the weaker classes. A sniper can deal a massive amount of damage at range, only for a spy or a pyro- someone with a class advantage in close quarters- to close into melee range. The sniper's performance - i.e. skill - will allow them to fight that threat. Same goes for Engineers or Medics- if someone closes with you, you're screwed, right? An engie's sentry gun cranks out a ton of damage, which counts for crit chance. Medics go by assist damage, which counts for crit chance. If you've been doing well as a support class, you might not be out of luck- luck actually bends for your favor. The scaling damage of the crit mechanic encourages people to play support.