A game that digged its own grave?

Bat-Country | ScrapTF

I've been pondering this ever since Crimefest started. The majority of players I've seen aren't happy with the buff microtransactions and nerfed weapons alongside the heaps of DLC attempting to make an economy, which they say now renders it a pay to win game, and in my opinion they aren't wrong at all. There are the few I've seen who still praise and defend the game, saying that you don't need to buy anything if you don't want to, but really that's not true if you don't want to proceed without bashing your head against a wall.

I believe that Overkill were giving the finger to those 30,000+ players who worked hard to band together at once on the Road to Crimefest and tried to attract a entirely new crowd with the 10 day F2P session, as was evidenced by them completely ignoring the criticism during their recent AMA on Reddit. Surprisingly enough, it's worked so far, as player numbers are now at a higher average than they have been since March this year, but whether they stay that way is another question that will only be answered with time.

I think I just joined the bandwagon at the wrong time, and now I feel like I'm the butt of the joke. Overkill might try to appease the former players, but it won't heal the scars that have been left.

Edited by Dimitri Awesometh

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Well I guess it's good I didn't buy the second one. Microtransactions are horrible, but it's a shame because I like the premise of payday but... man it's impossible to play alone. The CPU is so dumb and unhelpful most of the time, at least for me on the first game so as I don't have friends with the game I just didn't touch it ever again, which makes me sad...at least was a gift but still someone paid for it and I can't enjoy it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am fairly experienced with 260 hours in game and infamy 6 and I would say that my review in 2015 still stands. I would say it has only gotten worse.

Sure WAS a fun game...
This game started out amazing. 30 DLCs later it is ruined. OVERKILL has ruined this game. Their addition of microtransactions and the sheer amount of DLC content changes the core of the game. It WAS a great game. WAS. 
I warn everyone who considers to buy this game to think twice. If you really want to support a game that has terrible DLC practices and would rather have money than a good community. 
The OVERKILL team released a 'apology' for the microtransactions. Did it mean anything? NOPE. The team did not do anything to follow up their fake apology. 
I warn any person who considers to buy or want to support OVERKILL. Think through your actions and do not fuel this horrible team and horrible practices.

• 2 months later...

Having recently installed PAYDAY 2 this week, I can say that the game is 100x better then it was.

All micro transactions were removed.

Skins are now cheap and easy to obtain thanks to free safes.

All safes that costed money to open are gone forever.

Developers have promised to make less DLC and more community free updates.

DLC in the long run is a choice, you aren't forced to buy it to level up and get better.

The newest skilltree allows for better gameplay and more diverse skillsets for players of every single playstyle

Though the DLC from past updates still exist, you can always wait for the DLC to come on sale for $1-$2

• 2 months later...

I can confirm what Shebby said. The game became great again when they took out the stat buffs that the skins gave and moved them to a droppable mod. You never needed the DLC to play on the maps, only to host them, so that isn't such a huge problem. Besides the DLC goes on sale for 75% off every time they put out a new one. The only DLC that you needed before they buffed the skill tree by a ton was the courier pack if you were a min-maxer.

TLDR: A lot of games can climb out of their graves, but people will still think they are dead.

Edited by GalactiaMage

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2016 at 10:52 PM, GalactiaMage said:

I can confirm what Shebby said. The game became great again when they took out the stat buffs that the skins gave and moved them to a droppable mod. You never needed the DLC to play on the maps, only to host them, so that isn't such a huge problem. Besides the DLC goes on sale for 75% off every time they put out a new one. The only DLC that you needed before they buffed the skill tree by a ton was the courier pack if you were a min-maxer.

TLDR: A lot of games can climb out of their graves, but people will still think they are dead.

Also if I remember correctly, it wasn't a choice on the developers part. I'm pretty sure the publishers made them add the pay to open safes. Then they bought the rights to their game from the publishers and started fixing the mess.