Tough Break Update preview thoughts

31Darkstar

It looks like valve is getting tf2 ready for competitive, as most of the weapons are now balanced.

When all weapons are balanced out and when there are enough cosmetics (probably in a year or two) they'll most likely just drop the game.

They've nerfed melee weapons like the Market Gardener and Half-Zatoichi which already had penalties while making the most W+M1 f2p weapon stronger, the plog.

They've buffed my favourite weapon though, The Crusaders Crossbow, it now charges uber. A nice complement to my Ubersaw. The High Roller Medi Gun skin looks gangsta.

Seems like with the game dying they are trying to entice new f2p players because the pyro has all those crit kills and a phlog with no penalties(f2p don't airblast)

I appreciate them putting effort into such an old game. Just wished they would do something about those damn random crits.

It looks like Valve just wanted all the flamethrowers to do the same base damage (for whatever reason)

The balancing of underused weapons and some quality-of-life changes (like the crusader crossbow uber gain) is much appreciated.

I don't think Valve will drop the game entirely but it's possible they'll just push out updates way less frequently.

Still... the RIFT weapons will always be relics of the past, never to be touched at all..

Edited by Ineffectual

Zatoichi got ruined with the removal of Random Crits which now makes it an even worse Soldier Melee and with the reduction of HP gained makes it less of a WM1 pyro counter for the Demoknight.

I do like the HP sacrifice to sheath though.

Market Gardener now pretty much forces rocket jumping as missing the crit now puts you at a disadvantage in melee fight even against the most unaware snipers. Prior to this you could still use it to kill people who were unaware since it was pretty balanced for standard melee fighting even with no random crits.

I never use the axtinguisher and this updates makes me never want to use it with all of the nerfs it got.

Quickfix got nerfed too hard, I agree that you shouldn't be able to cap with it active but I don't believe this should affect your patient. The capping while Uber boosted was what made the Quickfix clutch in the situations that needed it to be.

The Fists of steel got a nice change but all the other affected heavy melee's got nerfs.

GRU didn't get affected too bad but if you get ambushed on the way to the battlefield you're as good as dead.

The Warrior's spirit got ruined 30% more damage from all sources for a bit more damage and some HP on kill. Not much point on HP on kill if you're losing HP much faster. It also kills the Hibernating bear set since a Steak boosted heavy would take a total of 55% more damage!

Eviction Notice was fine after Gun Mettle for most it was hard to adjust to the faster heavy and now they want to make him faster and squishier? I can see this making Melee heavies better at chasing weak targets but more often than not getting them killed with the abrupt speed change and damage taken.

Targe lost it's place as the best way to tank explosives and fire. But shields now remove negative effects on charge so that's nice....

Claidheamh Mòr is now the Powerjack for the Demo just without the move speed boost..... so it's not that unique anymore, better to just use Eyelander.

Caber got a bit of a mixed nerf/buff.... sure it does more damage but you can't swing as fast or switch to it as fast for last breath kills.

2 hours ago, Lukiday | ScrapTF said:

Yep, just had a 40 ks on a pub with the phlog, shottie and powerjack

I hate what they did to the Pholgistinator. There was no need for a buff. That weapon was pretty broken already, and now it's ridiculous. It's not a skill weapon at all. It rewards you with Uber and Crits for just holding left click.

STAR_ (TF2 YouTuber) had an interesting theory that I'd like to share with you guys. His theory is that Valve doesn't play the game anymore. That they just add whatever they think might be cool. It makes perfect sense. If you're a dev for TF2, which is an 8 year old game, wouldn't you just stop playing it after a while out of pure boredom?

Well, the game was earning Valve a <lot> of money because of the items they were selling. And most of those said items were being chugged because of a healthy, working TF2 economy.

Sure, some of these items are fun, but lately, all it's been is buffs/debuffs (game "fixes") and P2P content. I... think Valve will learn something soon, as the now broken TF2 economy means a lot less items will be bought. Or at least I hope, as this could hopefully pave the way to trading being functional again. Having to wait 3 days to be able to trade is idioticcc D:

On 2015-12-19, 12:43:13, ✦ Loganog ✦ said:

I'd be fine with the removed the 10% damage penalty, Not really that big of a problem.

But making them invincible is kinda well... just dumb.

I would be fine with most of the buffs and nerfs if they would just reduce the pyros speed advantage. It's tied with the spy for second(technically the medic is but not when backing away from a wall of fire) fastest class which already encourages w+m1 play rather than having to use much strategy.  But making the plog more op is absolutely dumb

Edited by sjuːdənɪm

1 hour ago, sjuːdənɪm said:

I would be fine with most of the buffs and nerfs if they would just reduce the pyros speed advantage. It's the tied with the spy for second(technically the medic is but not when backing away from a wall of fire) fastest class which already encourages w+m1 play rather than having to use much strategy.  But making the plog more op is absolutely dumb

They should make it that the phlog lowers the pyro's walking speed by 15% or so.

Dear LORD, the Phlog..... I've been on so many servers that had MVPs as phlog pyros dominating more than 5 people. HECK, I WAS ON A SERVER THAT ALL MVPs WERE PYROS WITH A HIGH KILLSTREAK OF 50 AND ACTUALLY WERE MORE THAN THREE, JUST THAT THERE CAN ONLY BE THREE MVPs! It's horrible. The ambushes never ends, with pocket medis as well and protected by snipers and heavies with pocket medics of their own!

I did discover that the Natascha might be the only thing able to stop these monsters now if you are alone. As it can make them slower and also protect you as you spin it, you MIGHT be able to survive them, even if they have krits and recharged all their life in front of you. But then again, the Natascha is the answer to everything, so...until the Natascha is nerfed really bad or the Phlog buffed even MORE , I guess that at least having a Heavy might be enough to defend the team from those but....I fear for the worst....that and soliders, other heavies and more pyros could tag along and travel in groups as the despicable animals they are, brrrr....Gaben, why? Wasn't your favorite class the spy? Try playing spy against those phlogs