Secret santa disappointment

So...

As per usual of my terrible luck, both my gifter and recipient were grinches. I wasn't gifted anything, and my recipient didn't gift anything either /o/

Also, I can't seem to withdraw the items I donated. The "reclaim your gift (your recipient was a grinch)" button ain't working for me.

Now... The question is, why did this happen? Is it because most of the TF2 community is made up of greedful, immoral people or... Was Secret Santa actually ruined by people unable to trade because of Escrow? Or was Escrow used as an excuse not to give?

I mean... One out of the two is one thing. But two grinches is a bit much :C . Both spoke about Escrow.

Curious as to the generic user's point of view on this, or their own experience. 

While at it, post (honestly) what you donated and what you received, would be interesting to see what sorta standard there is :D

Gifted: 

3x refined

2x haunted hats

Received:

Nothing

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, both my gifter and recipient were inactive until the last few days. I had a strange FT with Phumous kills prepared to gift, but because my recipient didn't show any signs of life, I ended up raffling it away. My recipient said he got me several cosmetics, but I just found out that I got nothing whatsoever. 

It looks like your Secret Santa didn't gift you anything :((

Gifted:

1x Gaelic Garb

Recieved:

Nothing

Edited by Mr. New Vegas

Even though for me it was a flop, the secret santa event was great for me and I'd love to see it again next year. The Origin-Gone-Steam™ idea of Escrow was a probable cause for the disappointment some of the participants experienced. Maybe, given some addition features, we will indeed see this event next year although I myself can't think of anyway to ensure the success of the event without excluding users or some sort of filtering system.

Just know that by gifting something or attempting to gift something, you have excluded yourself from the section of the scrap.tf community that were the weaker links in this chain. You are the people that contributed to making this event work. If you gifted something but didn't get anything back, you repaired the chain and thanks to you, your recipient is enjoying christmas with a nice new item or more to add to their TF2 inventory and you made their experience in this event a success.

For those that tried to gift but had their items returned to them, you still played part in the success and you should thank Gaben that someone that ruined secret santa for someone else didn't receive the items you were generous enough to give away. You are not the one at fault and if you still feel you are missing out on the charitable festivity, you should maybe consider raffling one of those items away. Either way, I suggest that you put your disappointment aside and enjoy your day. I was hopeful for this event so I personally thank you for your contribution to making it succeed and I'm sure thousands of users, donors and staff would thank you too. Merry Christmas everyone~💘

TL:DR Version:

I'm Proud Of You, Merry Christmas

Edited by wildjwildj
wildjwildj - Professional Online Terminologist

Same here, so pissed

I gifted a Team spirit killer exclusive, hoping the receiver would play tf2 when he got it, but he still hasn't played tf2 in 3 weeks

And of course I don't get shit because people were grinches

i also bet hundreds of people only gifted like craft hats and 1 refined

6 minutes ago, ONWERTJE said:

and i gifted 1 ref

Grinch Much? Seriously 

Well, when a site hosts a massive secret Santa event open to 500,000+ people, there's going to be tons of people who aren't going to participate and still enter. I'm sorry that you didn't get anything but it was bound to happen to tons of people, so you aren't the only ones :(

happy holidays nonetheless

1 minute ago, Dima said:

Well, when a site hosts a massive secret Santa event open to 500,000+ people, there's going to be tons of people who aren't going to participate and still enter. I'm sorry that you didn't get anything but it was bound to happen to tons of people, so you aren't the only ones :(

happy holidays nonetheless

*Waves* Hia Dima!~

I'm curious, what was your experience like in the event? If you entered, that is.

I gave items, but my recipient was a greedy grinch so I assume I'll be able to withdraw it after everyone gets their stuff, though I was lucky and got a few items from my gifter. But as everyone is saying, it's not about getting, it's about giving :3

Edited by Dima
3 minutes ago, Dima said:

I gave items, but my recipient was a greedy grinch so I assume I'll be able to withdraw it after everyone gets their stuff, though I was lucky and got a few items from my gifter. But as everyone is saying, it's not about getting, it's about giving :3

Indeed :3

I hope you have a merry christmas Dima o3o

Edited by wildjwildj
The edit statement is false

Just was able to withdraw my items. Would honestly wish people who had grinches (on both fronts) had the chance to be "swapped" to other users. Part of the secret santa isn't just about giving and receiving. If it was, it'd be hoping for profit.

It's about the "magic" of receiving something you didn't know or expect. The surprise.

Well, I guess we'll see next year. I never get anything for xmas anyway, so this shouldn't have been surprising :P

After getting a gift receiver reassignment, i looked up what classes he plays etc. and talked with him a bit. I got a Gift personalized for him, and threw him two extra Keys for the good will. 
My Gifter however, was probably only focused in getting something. All i got was a 0.28€ worth Cosmetic for a class i never/barely play. He made no thoughts whatsoever, and probably gifted the item because it was a fail uncrate. 

Sucks, really does. 

35 minutes ago, tehswordninja said:

I was going to give my strange eyelander to my receiver because he never talked to me so I couldn't figure out what he wanted, and because I'm poor and that was really the only thing I could get. Course, escrow screwed me over, and because there's no damn mac version of the desktop authenticator.  

I've heard something about an android emulator in which you can download the Steam app onto, I don't know how valid this information is but if you're stuck, it's worth looking into

38 minutes ago, 0 and Wilson | trade.tf said:

Same.

Gifted a face full of festive, a key, and some soldier rocket launcher skins. At least my giftee gifted something.

1 hour ago, Apples... | trade.tf said:

nobody has gifted me something either... I don't know if i'll do the secret santa next year. It's such a dissapoitment when you don't receive anything, but instead you lost items...

Gifted:  Otolaryngologist's Mirror and Tough Stuff Muffs --> It may not be that much but I sure like to get something back.

Cheer up people, remember...

4 hours ago, wildjwildj said:

Just know that by gifting something or attempting to gift something, you have excluded yourself from the section of the scrap.tf community that were the weaker links in this chain. You are the people that contributed to making this event work. If you gifted something but didn't get anything back, you repaired the chain and thanks to you, your recipient is enjoying christmas with a nice new item or more to add to their TF2 inventory and you made their experience in this event a success.

1 hour ago, Apples... | trade.tf said:

nobody has gifted me something either... I don't know if i'll do the secret santa next year. It's such a dissapoitment when you don't receive anything, but instead you lost items...

Gifted:  Otolaryngologist's Mirror and Tough Stuff Muffs --> It may not be that much but I sure like to get something back.

Well, after posting this, a guy sent me a fr request. I think he was really generous with what he did, he gifted me alot of great items.

If u read this, thnx again bro....