Secret santa disappointment

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar situation, I gifted a pink B.M.O.C. to my recipient, and he was grinch, as was my santa. Was it really that common that people weren't giving stuff out, or was there a logistics issue with the number of gifters? I clicked to reclaim my gift, but I didn't get the option to trade the bot for my item back. Was it escrow? I could see that being an issue logistically, but considering it's all automated and the bots use a desktop authenticator made by Geel, I don't think that would be a problem, I mean if you're not giving away anything, it shouldn't require you to authenticate anything (which is another reason escrow is bullshit, but that's beside the point).

Anyway, I'd say escrow definitely threw a wrench in to the plans, and made the event fairly disappointing for most involved. It's not really the fault of the scrap.tf devs or anything, it's mostly on valve and the greedy fucks in the community who thought they could get something for nothing, despite seeing that there was a gift sending requirement (even though they could just send something cheap, which is the equivalent of wonder trading a zigzagoon in hopes of getting a 6 iv Japanese ditto, seriously, if you do that, fuck you).

All in all, a disappointing event, but you can't say they didn't try.

Same here, was really excited for this as it was the first secret Santa I've participated in, but I get back today to find both my gifter and giftee were grinches so I've reclaimed my items (although I dunno where they are, I just clicked the button) :/

Kinda a big disappointment/ let down. Would have been nice for people to be rematched once the system knew who the grinches were...... Although I dunno how much of a hassle that would have been. :(

Edited by Krillin (Liquid Silk)

ALRIGHT BOYS I THINK I FOUND THE PROBLEM!

https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/680490823226671104 

Steam has been having some issues with caching today, you were able to look at your account details and see someone else's account, steam wallet, purchase history, and all. Not sure about credit card information, though that is a distinct possibility.

The way this connects is because this event was supposed to be automated, the bots are likely freaking the fuck out since the servers are shitting their pants at the moment, so the gift delivery may need to be postponed until a later date, but on the bright side, it might mean that some people who the system says were grinches, actually did end up getting people presents, so that's good at least.

Give him a break Terminator, considering that servers have been fucky, he probably thought that he wouldn't be getting anything anyway. If he ends up not giving you anything, you'll be rematched instantly because it's automated, but until those script kiddies at phantom force stop putting their micropenises in to Valve's USB drives, there won't be anything happening. Just be patient. The fix likely won't come for a while because, again, it's Christmas, the people who work at Valve are likely at home with their families, which is why those asshats strike on christmas, because they know the building will be empty.

Gifter:
Never spoke to me for the whole event, didn't give me anything. So much for him. I wouldn't have minded whatever I got, it's the thought that counts, but clearly not to these kinds of people.

Recipient:
Didn't accept my gift, even though it was a decent Silver Botkiller Flamethrower with three parts on it and a Level 100 Rock Paper Scissors. Guess he was a grinch too.

Ah well, what can you expect from the TF2 community? The chances of actually getting someone who isn't just out to make a profit these days is pretty low. Better luck next year I guess.

Got nothing from my gifter.

Can't see my gift in my recipient's inventory. It was worth around 3 keys.Dunno if he sold it on the market, forgot secret santa existed or what. He's a SAM user who only gave me a single one-word reply so

Yeah to be honest I don't see the point in going out of one's way for some random stranger who most likely won't appreciate the gift. Might as well raffle or give things to specific people you know might appreciate them...

EDIT: My recipient was in fact a grinch, I just had to go searching for the site inventory page to withdraw the gift rather than the button that's supposed to be on the secret santa page. When that button disappeared before, I assumed it meant he actually wasn't a grinch. So much for him being "awsome" as he claims on his profile.

Edited by gumi876

Why didn't they make it so that if you didn't get a gift, you could get the grinch's gifter's gift instead, since he isn't going to get it anyways?

Gifted: Factory New Psychedelic Slugger

What I mean is this:

Grinch's Gifter--> Grinch --> You

If the grinch's gifter gave the Grinch a gift, you should be able to have that gift. That way, both sides could be happy.

My gifter gave me a response and friended me on steam, but still didn't send anything. Disappointing.

39 minutes ago, Riddlemonk said:

Why didn't they make it so that if you didn't get a gift, you could get the grinch's gifter's gift instead, since he isn't going to get it anyways?

What I mean is this:

If the grinch's gifter gave the Grinch a gift, you should be able to have that gift. That way, both sides could be happy.

My gifter gave me a response and friended me on steam, but still didn't send anything. Disappointing.

I suggested that a while back but it wasn't accepted for some reason.

Well, this is very disappointing. I was very excited to get a new item, and my gifter even responded to my messages, but ended up giving me nothing. I'm just starting out with trading, too, so even the small item I gave away (that my recipient wanted) sets me back a lot. I really want to win a raffle, but of course there's so little chance that i really shouldn't get my hopes up. Unfortunately, unless the system changes, I don't think I'll risk participating in a similar thing next year.

3 hours ago, Riddlemonk said:

What I mean is this:

That's totally what I assumed the process would be. It makes wonderful sense.

Edited by Delusions of Grandeur

I didnt get grinched on both ends, i FORGOT to give a gift because both my recipient and gifter did not contact me, aside from the first message, and my gifter gave me a gift without saying anything to me, and i could not claim it because i forgot to participate because i was not really into it due to lack of contact. My recipient might have forgot too, but i cant believe my gifter just blindly sent me something without even telling me that they were giving me something.

My computer was busted all november so I couldn't even buy stuff for my guy. Also, when I came back, I checked scrap.tf and saw that my santa didn't even tried to communicate with me. I tried to communicate to the person I had to gift but turns out they have been offline on the site for a month :/ So no luck....ah well, I didn't want something, honestly, I wanted to give someone something, even if it's not rhe big deal...maybe 2 hats or so, but still...neither of mine really answered me :( 

Whoever was my secret santa, if you are listening....you should contact me, I could give you a gift at least if you didn't receive anything.