Ronald_D_D

Add an option to hide the prizes on puzzle raffles.

There have been a few instances where people who make excellent puzzles don't get as many entries because the prize is often not very "expensive" or "worth it" while raffles with massive prizes and good puzzles get ragers, beggars and profile spam.

How about adding an option similar to the roman numerals on items. That simply hides the items in the raffle to appear as a ? icon sort of the same icon as the missing schema item icon that some raffles get.

This way, puzzle rafflers can selectively choose to hide certain prizes. They can choose to hide them all or just a few items. The prizes could be revealed after the user enters the raffle or till the raffle ends. (Maybe include an option for that as well?)

This way, hiding the prizes would cause people to try the puzzle based on the puzzle itself and not worry about what they will gain till later. You would then end up with a fair amount of people doing various puzzles and learning from them.

This idea could also be incorporated into further potential puzzles, such as making an item hidden till a user enters, then revealing a hint in the items for an additional raffle that may be linked in the entered message.

This could also maybe extend to public raffles for the fun of it. But it would be more useful if it was implemented into puzzle raffles.

So what do you think about this?

Edited by Ronald_D_D

3 hours ago, Ezekiel said:

But then you'd have backlash from people who don't like their "mystery prize".

The whole point is that as of current, only puzzle raffles with super amazing prizes get a lot of attention. Meanwhile puzzle puzzles whose prizes aren't as good but a lot of thought get put into them get maybe 10 entries maximum. The whole point of this suggestion is that we who make great puzzles but don't always give out a lot of more amazing prizes, would like more people to attempt to complete our puzzles as well.

And if anyone is the type to complain about winning anything, well that's another matter entirely.

Users who enjoy solving puzzles will try to solve all of them and ignore the items anyways.

Others who want items from raffles will just try to solve the ones with the better items, you can't force them into solving all of them

7 hours ago, Lukiday said:

Users who enjoy solving puzzles will try to solve all of them and ignore the items anyways.

Others who want items from raffles will just try to solve the ones with the better items, you can't force them into solving all of them

I thought the point of puzzle raffles was to solve puzzles not to try to get prizes.

7 hours ago, Lukiday said:

I did mention that it would be an option. Selectively to hide items. It doesn't have to just be for the soul purpose of forcing everyone to do every puzzle. Some may see raffles with unhidden prizes, all hidden prizes or both.

If the raffler decides not to hide a big or small prize for any reason, they can.

One can reveal small prizes and have a hidden extra bonus prize for the fun of it. So people can either risk it to see what the bonus prize can be or just find a raffle with all unhidden better prizes.

If someone doesn't like the supposed "uncraftable weapon" mystery prize they can still leave. However they probably would have learned new things from the puzzle they had just solved. So they still gain some knowledge.

But yeah, talking about trying to win/lose/find better prizes is a hard topic to debate about.

Edited by Ronald_D_D

Honestly, I really like and support this idea but this is like the problem of "raffling to get attention" in the public raffles section.

Most scrap.tf users just join for the prize. If a puzzle is too hard for them with prizes that don't seem to be worth the effort of solving the puzzle, they'd rather do something else with their time.

If this was implemented though I feel like there is a 50:50 chance it would either be successful because of curiosity or have a backlash because of greed.

12 minutes ago, timomo3 said:

Honestly, I really like and support this idea but this is like the problem of "raffling to get attention" in the public raffles section.

Most scrap.tf users just join for the prize. If a puzzle is too hard for them with prizes that don't seem to be worth the effort of solving the puzzle, they'd rather do something else with their time.

If this was implemented though I feel like there is a 50:50 chance it would either be successful because of curiosity or have a backlash because of greed.

You're most likely to get backlash if you make a hard puzzle with a big prize anyways though.

Edited by Ronald_D_D

Well, PUZZLE raffles are not exactly raffles, as you need to do an undeterminated ammount of steps to find the answer and only then you can join the raffle. After all they ARE puzzles, and that's why this option could be good - people that wants to actually do puzzles will join the raffle regardless (or try to), and possibly make the puzzle raffle section better because of less greedy people.

15 hours ago, pholtos said:

I thought the point of puzzle raffles was to solve puzzles not to try to get prizes.

That's your point, there are plenty others that just do it for the items.

As I said, people like you who enjoy solving puzzles will solve them anyways, regardless of the items. Others who just join raffles for the items obviously will try to solve the puzzles with the better prizes first, until they're out of time.

This is what I see in this suggestion:

Upsides

1. A poor player is more likely to share good puzzles because more people would try it.

2. A raffle with expensive prizes won't have people begging the raffler for hints.

Downsides

1. Possibly more complaints of prizes not being "worth the puzzle."

I do like this suggestion for the reasons stated in the upsides; the only thing I would add to compensate for the downside would be to only reveal the prize to the winner(s). This way the only people that would complain are the ones that already complain about winning cheap stuff, hidden or not.

28 minutes ago, Pegapnea said:

Upsides

1. A poor player is more likely to share good puzzles because more people would try it.

2. A raffle with expensive prizes won't have people begging the raffler for hints.

Downsides

I do like this suggestion for the reasons stated in the upsides; the only thing I would add to compensate for the downside would be to only reveal the prize to the winner(s). This way the only people that would complain are the ones that already complain about winning cheap stuff, hidden or not.

That's a good idea, only revealing prizes to the winner(s). I actually think this way even winner will be less likely to complain because after all, they won!

1 hour ago, Pegapnea said:

Upsides

Downsides

Oh man this is a really good idea.

I feel like it's a bit sad that the winner of a free item will complaint about it. I just don't get it. But I think that would be a good idea, Have it so you hide the winnings until you have solved it, or only if you win it, I like the idea!

Thank's for having me!~

6 hours ago, Pegapnea said:

Upsides

Downsides

Yes, sort like how we already have an option to let winners be anonymous. Why not the selectively hidden items too? My eyes will not burn to this notion! This is a good idea.

Edited by Ronald_D_D

Yes, I would like this to be a thing. Also I like Pegapnea's idea too. I've seen far too many people beg for hints on big raffles and it can be quite annoying for the puzzle creator. 

This is what I think is gonna happen.

First the suggestion is put into the site, and people begin to make raffles with hidden prizes.

Users begin to join these "mystery" raffles only to be let down by the average items in them.

Soon, they stop joining these mystery raffles, but not you all.

You, the "famous" puzzle rafflers, stay around to solve these puzzles regardless of the prizes.

In the end, after maybe a few months, the only puzzle rafflers and puzzle raffle solvers will be you guys, and no one else.

You're suggesting something that you think is good, but you've forgotten all the regular users in the process who may not.

And from what I've seen, the only puzzle raffles created are by the "famous" puzzle rafflers, and therefore it's safe to say that the entire puzzle raffle section will have mystery prizes. It'll just become it's own little community that no one else can join unless you really like puzzles.

Is ScrapTF really not a good enough community for you?

Edited by Ezekiel

Of course people would rather solve the puzzles with the better prizes as they are more rewarding.

People who like puzzling (apparently?) don't care about the items, so they'll join the raffles with the lesser prizes too.

14 minutes ago, Ezekiel said:

This is what I think is gonna happen.

First the suggestion is put into the site, and people begin to make raffles with hidden prizes.

Users begin to join these "mystery" raffles only to be let down by the average items in them.

Soon, they stop joining these mystery raffles, but not you all.

You, the "famous" puzzle rafflers, stay around to solve these puzzles regardless of the prizes.

In the end, after maybe a few months, the only puzzle rafflers and puzzle raffle solvers will be you guys, and no one else.

You're suggesting something that you think is good, but you've forgotten all the regular users in the process who may not.

I see what you're saying, but I have to say the logic is a little off. The problem right now is that people already don't join raffles if the prizes are average. If someone ends up thinking that a mystery prize isn't worth it, they definitely won't join a raffle where a low value item is guaranteed. No puzzle solvers would be lost from this.

The point here is to have more puzzles' "worth of doing" judged on the puzzle itself, not the value of the prize.

With the massive amount of people that go to scrap.tf, I very much doubt we'd be the only ones to use the puzzle section. Keep in mind that not every puzzle will be mystery prizes, so the people who wouldn't want to join the mystery raffles wouldn't leave completely.

5 minutes ago, Ezekiel said:

The thing is, from what I've seen, the only puzzle raffles open are created by the users who have commented in this forum.

Therefore, it's safe to say the entire puzzle raffle section will have mystery prizes.

Because we're suggesting it doesn't mean we all want to use it. I for one wouldn't use this if it got accepted, I just think it's a good idea.

20 minutes ago, Pegapnea said:

The problem right now is that people already don't join raffles if the prizes are average. If someone ends up thinking that a mystery prize isn't worth it, they definitely won't join a raffle where a low value item is guaranteed. No puzzle solvers would be lost from this.

It's not because of the bad items. It's because of the difficulty of the puzzle.

Too many times do I see puzzle with jigsaws that once completed lead to other jigsaws, or sentences/question encoded five times, or red herrings, or other wild-goose chases that I just don't have the time for.

I want a riddle, a simple riddle, instead of having to solve a jigsaw to get a sentence that's ciphered that once deciphered is a link to a stupid red herring that had nothing to do with the raffle.

That's just my final two cents on this.

If it happens, it happens. But from my experience, I'm sure it will never be put in.

Edited by Ezekiel

True but you can temporary put a cheap price on the puzzle raffle, and put the link to a private puzzle raffle in the enter message ( with the same password ) who's contain the real price.

It's a solution, I'm not sure to see this feature added to the website ... let's hope yes.

17 hours ago, Ezekiel said:

It's not because of the bad items. It's because of the difficulty of the puzzle.

Too many times do I see puzzle with jigsaws that once completed lead to other jigsaws, or sentences/question encoded five times, or red herrings, or other wild-goose chases that I just don't have the time for.

I want a riddle, a simple riddle, instead of having to solve a jigsaw to get a sentence that's ciphered that once deciphered is a link to a stupid red herring that had nothing to do with the raffle.

That's just my final two cents on this.

If it happens, it happens. But from my experience, I'm sure it will never be put in.

Well I don't see much harm in trying it for a little while to test this. It can be like the raffle cool-down idea, not much people liked it when it was added but later it was shortened to be reasonable.

If a lot of people do not like this and the idea goes to flop then it can still be reverted. Good debate/points though.