Ronald_D_D

Add an option to hide the prizes on puzzle raffles.

In view of current missing schema I decided to try using this glitch to test this idea and to see the response from people. My puzzles and are still up for 14 more hours as I'm writing this.

I think they generally received pretty positive responses, also the majority voted in my poll https://scrap.tf/polls/8WMEE4 "yes".

Some responses about the mystery items for items:

(https://scrap.tf/raffles/QXRFLL)

D✧RetroRaptör✧ said 15 hours ago 

RedPhoenix i guess it was a temporary glitch thing with scrap.tf.....i hope they make it an option, tho

DSwellowBird77 said 16 hours ago 
That would be the best idea!

(https://scrap.tf/raffles/7WUOZ5)

❤ Charmander ❤ said 5 hours ago 

I like mystery prizes :3

Wind Waker Link said 5 hours ago 

i like mystery

----

I'd also like to use the recent example of this puzzle that caused a lot of anger. Because people wanted the prize but couldn't solve it.
However there were many other difficult puzzles before but didn't cause so much salt. 
Example: https://scrap.tf/raffles/BUSCXQ (Also note: only Ronald_D_D entered this raffle legitimately, rest 4 were lucky to see answer posted for a few moments). As you can see, the prize isn't as big as the previously mentioned one. Did people get angry? No
I've made quite a few small but tougher puzzles: https://scrap.tf/raffles/0O8L2H https://scrap.tf/raffles/7C1MX3 https://scrap.tf/raffles/R026LL https://scrap.tf/raffles/K68AXB to name a few, and people didn't get salty, because no one cared for the prize like a few weapons or scrap.
Katuen recently made a tricky but very creative puzzle. Only a handful of people solved it. Did it cause hatred and spam? Not really.
And of course there's this one. No one could solve it, it was hard, and the prize was pretty generous. Did it cause salt? Yes. You can check their profile.

What I'm trying to say here is that many people don't even give a shot to puzzles with a small prize, or give up after 10 seconds. They judge the puzzle based on the prize, not on content. They never learn anything and when the time comes and a hard puzzle with a great prize gets created, people get angry at the puzzle AND the raffler for making it too hard and that only "smart" people can get it. 

Those rafflers who can afford giving away a lot get more appreciation than those who spend a lot of time and effort into their puzzles, which I find unfair.

----

So I still think that Pegapnea's suggestion of only revealing the hidden prizes to the winner is the best option. The winner won't get angry for winning too little because, after all, they won, and those who didn't win won't complain how they spent so much time solving only to get a chance to win a single weapon or something.

Thank you for your time to read this and sorry for a wall of text.

Edit: fixed "prizes with a small gift" to "puzzles with small prize"

Edited by RedPhoenix

People are kinda butts though, they could get angry because "oh man i spent freaking 20 minutes figuring this out and all i get is a weapon?". It's not entirely like they got it for free, it needed some effort from them so they are likely to expected some better reward from it.

Still i guess people like that wouldn't go blindfolded into solving stuff and it'll mostly attract people that solve puzzle raffles for the fun of solving that puzzle, but in that case people like this don't look much at reward.

People are kinda butts though, they could get angry because "oh man i spent freaking 20 minutes figuring this out and all i get is a weapon?". It's not entirely like they got it for free, it needed some effort from them so they are likely to expected some better reward from it.

Still i guess people like that wouldn't go blindfolded into solving stuff and it'll mostly attract people that solve puzzle raffles for the fun of solving that puzzle, but in that case people like this don't look much at reward.

yeah we've thought about that and that's why the idea is to reveal the prize only to the winner because even if the prize is not good he still won it

Edited by timomo3

1 hour ago, timomo3 said:

yeah we've thought about that and that's why the idea is to reveal the prize only to the winner because even if the prize is not good he still won it

I talked about exactly this scenario, he too took time to solve the puzzle so he can be that kind of person and get mad that all of this was for just a weapon.

2 minutes ago, JSS ❤ Sharks said:

I talked about exactly this scenario, he too took time to solve the puzzle so he can be that kind of person and get mad that all of this was for just a weapon.

oh i see what you mean. imo thats a small minority to be displeased with winning but yes it is possible

9 hours ago, JSS said:

Honestly if someone is displeased about winning anything from a raffle it just shows how greedy they are.

And that's the whole point. Puzzle raffles are all in all about solving the puzzles and learning from them to solve other puzzle raffles. It's a continuous loop of complaints from people when they hardly ever solve puzzle raffles but then oh hey it's a puzzle raffle with amazing prizes but the puzzle is too hard because they don't know how to solve it so they'll complain on their wall for help or bug people who have already solved it for help. Which is a mess and could have been avoided if people just spent the time to solve any and every puzzle they could and continued to learn from them.

Which... brings us back to here. Hiding prizes would ultimately stop all complaining if the dude chooses to hide them, and to be honest, if I ever were to raffle great prizes in a puzzle, for sure I would hide them if this becomes a reality, because I don't want people who hardly spend time in the puzzle raffle side and only solve ones they see with super amazing prizes to bug me on my wall for hints on a puzzle I spent time to make.

2 minutes ago, pholtos said:

Honestly if someone is displeased about winning anything from a raffle it just shows how greedy they are.

And that's the whole point. Puzzle raffles are all in all about solving the puzzles and learning from them to solve other puzzle raffles. It's a continuous loop of complaints from people when they hardly ever solve puzzle raffles but then oh hey it's a puzzle raffle with amazing prizes but the puzzle is too hard because they don't know how to solve it so they'll complain on their wall for help or bug people who have already solved it for help. Which is a mess and could have been avoided if people just spent the time to solve any and every puzzle they could and continued to learn from them.

Which... brings us back to here. Hiding prizes would ultimately stop all complaining if the dude chooses to hide them, and to be honest, if I ever were to raffle great prizes in a puzzle, for sure I would hide them if this becomes a reality, because I don't want people who hardly spend time in the puzzle raffle side and only solve ones they see with super amazing prizes to bug me on my wall for hints on a puzzle I spent time to make.

This happens basically every time I or someone else makes a raffle with "better" prizes. I am inundated with adds and comments on my profile for help because someone I have never seen enter a raffle before just wants the free goods. If someone wants to raffle a key to everyone, he or she would post it in the public section. The point of puzzle raffles is to give away things to only the solvers of the puzzles. IF someone wants to allow the prize to be a motivator, he or she will not check the "Hide the prize" box when creating.

Of course people will get salty, but just like when scrap implemented the "wait 3 seconds" between entering raffles, people will get over it quickly, and it will also ultimately create less of what the majority of scrap.tf users DON'T want: Complaining about prizes and begging for answers.

At least that's how I see it ._.

The whole notion of puzzles is to create the extra challenge to get the prize. And if someone wins a puzzle and still complains "I've spent 2 hours and all I get is a weapon?" Then really, they have a problem and they are the toxic part of community you dont want to be in the community and tbh I'd be glad that they didn't receive a good prize.

That is assuming there ARE people who would do that and I actually doubt there would be anyone to genuinely show hatred towards the puzzle. Sure there will be people jokingly saying "ha 2 hours for a scrap, worth it. Thanks"

But judging by how often i see people thank the raffler for the won prize, be it a weapon or an unusual, and you probably know that only like, 5-10% of people bother to thank, I even further doubt anyone would bother to comment anything at all. They'll be "oh cool i won something." *withdraw and forget* 

7 hours ago, RedPhoenix said:

The whole notion of puzzles is to create the extra challenge to get the prize. And if someone wins a puzzle and still complains "I've spent 2 hours and all I get is a weapon?" Then really, they have a problem and they are the toxic part of community you dont want to be in the community and tbh I'd be glad that they didn't receive a good prize.

You have forgotten what a majority of the ScrapTF userbase is lol

But seriously, that's not toxic, that's just how people normally act who want to win things for themselves. And yes, that IS the majority of this website's users.

Edited by Ezekiel | ScrapTF