Beware of unknown items.

So I nearly got scammed .-. pretty normal probably. But I didn't lose my items cause I canceled the trade in time. So I was trading hats for ref then when its my time to trade I noticed the bots were offering me unknown items instead of the ref and scrap so I checked it in my mobile steam to make sure its not fake and I really thought it was real. So I accepted the trade but when I was about to confirm it, it showed that I wont receive anything. So I immediately knew it was a scam, thats what I think at least. Anyone else faced this?

This was probably more something for the H&S forum but the question you asked did fit here.

I guess both of the problems (items not being able to load (so they show up as unknown items), and the empty tradeoffers) were caused by the steam api being slow and unreliable. 

I'm 95% sure that the bot sent you the correct trade, but steam wasn't able to load the tradeoffer.

I have faced these problems before, but I haven't seen them occur at the same time for some reason.